OT: Freshwater TROUT fishing tips plz

um... i've used power bait.. works ok on farmed trout... never went river trout fly fishing though... i heard corn works well too as that is what they are fed on...

cold water, up in the mountains not much around here, lot of places in northern california. Power bait and worms work good, it also depends on what kind of trout, the best time is early in the morning, late in the evening or late at night usally.

i use salmon eggs, and those have been working fantastic on stream. Seems to work awesome in areas that have been planted. I also use a little lure sometimes.

nothign beats worms pumped up with some air on a small treble. but it is summer and in southern cal, you wont be finding trout unless it's in restuarant.

where to find: in mornings usually near shore where bait fish are. in afternoon usually towards deeper water.

bait: worms or power bait, but you'll catch more (other fishes) with worms.

best time is in the morning at sunrise.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7538347#post7538347 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by omeg
nothign beats worms pumped up with some air on a small treble. but it is summer and in southern cal, you wont be finding trout unless it's in restuarant.

where to find: in mornings usually near shore where bait fish are. in afternoon usually towards deeper water.

bait: worms or power bait, but you'll catch more (other fishes) with worms.

best time is in the morning at sunrise.

I agree. Plus don't forget to roll your powerbait into a pellet form, you will get a better result than roll into a ball, and I wouldn't use any lines bigger than 4lbs test. I normally do 2 casts when I first started, 1 is closed to shore and 1 is further out to find their location, once you catch one at that distance you will know there's a whole school there.

Loc

I've used velveta cheese to catch some rainbows up near mammoth. I normally use salmon eggs in river areas and power bait in lakes.

Try Lake Fulmor...trouts year round there! The lake has always been known for trouts but recently there's been catchings of big mouth bass which is odd.

Buy a good float tube, fins and waders, the best Fly rod and reel you can afford and head up to lake Crowley in Late Aug, Sept and Oct ...its easy to learn on open water and the fish run up to 27 inches long. That time of year the limit is two fish 18" or bigger and you must use artificial lures with barbless hooks. 99.9% of the people fly fish and 99.9% of the fish over 18" are released. If you keep em get ready to get the "stink eye" from the local guides (screw them) If I'm up there camping with the family I'll keep one for dinner...I'm big on catch N release, if your going to eat em that day then by all means, if your going to take em home and throw em the freezer then find another hobby.

Once you get good at flyfishing then its time to head to the lakes and rivers up around the Yellowstone area. I've been up there many times, not much fishing but when I do its hard to beat.

I can pretty much fish any bait fisherman with crappie jigs. If you fish bait you can limit out in a few hours. I can do it in less than a hour in most cases. I feel there is no reason to sit at one location if no fish are even around. However if you have located the trout bait will work great. Power bait,mash mellows. meal worm with marshmellows, Lip rippers, Inflated worms,crappie jigs all work. Fly fishing a really difficult skill and usualy larger trout can be landed on these.

Mark,

We gotta get our tubes ready and hit up Crowly soon! SO i can out fish you too! lol

Paul

Small hook, 2-4 lb lines, and power bait has worked great for me. I'm going on a 4 days trout fishing trip with some friends at the end of the month :D Ohh and dip the bait in some garlic and corn oil also helps. I normally cast about 15-20 yards out with a small an egg sinker about 2-3 feet from the bait. Remember the bait needs to float so when you roll the bait try to get some air in it. Most power bait will also float on their own.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7542614#post7542614 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by turtlespd
Mark,

We gotta get our tubes ready and hit up Crowly soon! SO i can out fish you too! lol

Paul

I'll tell ya one thing, you better get some glasses cause we don't use no # 2 hooks out there. The midges I used last year were about the size of a BB.

I figure sometime in late September or early Oct...I'm going to take some time off to work on the project in the garage and I plan to go for a few days then, provided the project is going well.

Back