Over skimming?

sinful

Ive had dino in my 57 for at least 3 years and I contribute it 100% to bio-pellets. I havent run the pellets for years but Ive never been able to shake the dinos, until now. I made a decision to either get rid of the dinos or completely restart from scratch. My tank at this point is fowlr.

So I removed as much as I could manually and then dosed chemi-clean (3 treatments), microbacter and vibrant. And, due to the chemiclean, Ive had my skimmer off for the past month. I havent seen any sign of dinos and the tank has never looked better. My skimmer is a monster (reef octopus elite) for this tank (always planned on a larger tank), so Im curious if the skimmer was just to effective? Ive always heard dinos thrive when water is to clean, and I havent tested a nitrate, or phosphate in years.

Im debating even turning the skimmer back on (or possibly just run it half the time). Im almost disappointed, I was gonna pick up a 120, but now... Im not sure. Maybe shut it down while Im on top?? Lol

very good points. I've never heard about dinos and skimming, but I would think that if you tested nitrates and phos and they were both on level, I would leave it alone and just use it maybe for a few hours a day just to keep it broken in. Following to see if someone has a better opinion and to learn.

Good luck!

Back