Overflow and plumbing upgrades

So mine is all hard plumbed for the drained and a mix of hard and flex for the return. I guess I kinda have a emergency drain if the elbow part gets clogged? But if the drain gets clogged, no emergency drain

Here’s some pics, excuse the algae in the overflow (the left pipe is the drain)
21513B81-54C9-47F7-B8D0-7079DA18E6D8.jpeg

C0E28188-DDDB-4C6F-B2F9-8E3F3281A561.jpeg
39EA9B4F-2973-4E88-9CAB-324161CC3706.jpeg
237A2512-746C-4D7D-9B36-A6C0DFD8D382.jpeg

So mine is all hard plumbed for the drained and a mix of hard and flex for the return. I guess I kinda have a emergency drain if the elbow part gets clogged? But if the drain gets clogged, no emergency drain

Here’s some pics, excuse the algae in the overflow (the left pipe is the drain)

View attachment 32372109
Is this a tee at the top of the siphon? Suppose that would act like an emergency drain if the bottom gets clogged..
Tank looks great!! Looking forward to the day that mine at least has water in it haha

It was in the main drain of a Herbie system.
I closed the valve & in turn crushed the shell enough so when I opened it full the shell flushed out.

It’s a tee with a 90 degree elbow
That's an interesting setup, seems like it would be fairly quiet as well.. Where does the waterline sit on the Tee / elbow, in the middle or closer to the top? Trying to visualize how much of the 90 is submerged during normal operation

It was in the main drain of a Herbie system.
I closed the valve & in turn crushed the shell enough so when I opened it full the shell flushed out.
Gotcha. Can definitely see the benefit of having an emergency drain just from your experience alone!! Does your 2nd standpipe stay dry or pull a partial siphon normally?

It’s about 1/2 to just over half. Here’s a couple closer pics. Sorry not the best.
EA48DA31-E22D-4DEA-B437-8B37A8B33335.jpeg
225180F5-9A37-4514-A398-E763DB354970.jpeg

Welp, I think at this point, I'll add in an emergency drain and call it good.. Seems like plenty of folks are happy with the Herbie setup! The one thing I can't wrap my brain around is Shane's Tee connected to a 90 and then to the standpipe.. Curious what the point is? Seems like it adds a margin of safety, if the water gets to high in the overflow, it will drain down into the open top. Suppose it also allows air to escape during startup? Could I just top the standpipe with a strainer, open emergency and call it good, or am I missing something?

Thanks guys!!

Welp, I think at this point, I'll add in an emergency drain and call it good.. Seems like plenty of folks are happy with the Herbie setup! The one thing I can't wrap my brain around is Shane's Tee connected to a 90 and then to the standpipe.. Curious what the point is? Seems like it adds a margin of safety, if the water gets to high in the overflow, it will drain down into the open top. Suppose it also allows air to escape during startup? Could I just top the standpipe with a strainer, open emergency and call it good, or am I missing something?

Thanks guys!!
So this was the way I bought it from the previous owner. He only mentioned something about allowing for a higher water level in the tank. I wouldn’t necessarily take my tanks design and think too much into it as the guy was a DIYer.

So this was the way I bought it from the previous owner. He only mentioned something about allowing for a higher water level in the tank. I wouldn’t necessarily take my tanks design and think too much into it as the guy was a DIYer.
Gotcha!! I can see that.. As always, leave it to me to over think things haha

Back