Overflow (dumb question)

Vorog

On the return side I have a 3/4" abs slip bulkhead. And my return standpipe is 3/4" pic to a 90 degree lockline. The pvc is a little loose in the bulkhead I wasn't sure if I should glue it.. Everything on my plumbing has unions and double union ball valves so I can take things apart easy. I see that a lot of people get threaded bulkheads and screw the return down with Teflon tape. (Which btw I did for my durso stand pipe.) I'd rather not take the bulkhead back out but if I have to to do it right I will. Any other ideas?

It shouldn't matter. I normally use threaded bulkheads but in the wet side of the bulkhead it wont matter, if it doesn't blow out from pressure it will get encrusted with precipitate in time and you would swear that it was glued in next time you take it out. just make you give it a good tap to make sure that it seats in the bottom of the bulk head and a nice square clean cut will help with good fit.

I can tell you that the return on my tank is not glued where the pipe connects with the 90 where it goes over the top of the overflow.

I hope this was helpful.

It shouldn't matter. I normally use threaded bulkheads but in the wet side of the bulkhead it wont matter, if it doesn't blow out from pressure it will get encrusted with precipitate in time and you would swear that it was glued in next time you take it out. just make you give it a good tap to make sure that it seats in the bottom of the bulk head and a nice square clean cut will help with good fit.

I can tell you that the return on my tank is not glued where the pipe connects with the 90 where it goes over the top of the overflow.

I hope this was helpful.

Okay just making sure, it isn't popping out of the wetside from pressure yet (currently have a smaller return pump) that I will be replacing. But it was a concern that when I do get a bigger return it would pop out of the bulkhead. I did try a thin layer of Teflon tape on the bottom to see if it fit more snug, but it didn't make a difference. If I try to adjust the return flow lockline the stand pipe pops out.

The Teflon will make it MORE slippery! That is what the tape is for (threads and tightening to get better seal) so no Teflon!

The Teflon will be gone when I get home lol. Just wasn't sure what others do. Kinda hard to find that information online. I can find everything about durso standpipes but not much on returns

I know a guy that dos t glue any of his connections for pic he just uses Teflon and pushes them together. My on the other hand I like glue. For the bulkhead connection I don't glue it. It won't pop out as the pressure is released at the hole back to the tank(locline) if u where to have no outlet cap off the locline for example then it would blow. So if it is working with the Teflon just leave it be

I know a guy that dos t glue any of his connections for pic he just uses Teflon and pushes them together. My on the other hand I like glue. For the bulkhead connection I don't glue it. It won't pop out as the pressure is released at the hole back to the tank(locline) if u where to have no outlet cap off the locline for example then it would blow. So if it is working with the Teflon just leave it be

Thanks roger! It does seem to be working fine, just curious what I should have done

Back