Ozone and Dinoflagellates

danjen10

Hi Randy -

I have read a number of your articles. Thank you for all the great information.

I have a Dinoflagellate problem in my frag. tank that I cannot seem to kick. I have tried most of the things that you have listed in the article titled "Problem Dinoflagellates and pH". I also tried a "reef safe" treatment. All that did was dye my water yellow / brown. I did leave the lights off (several times for several days) but there is still light in the room. Some people say that the tank needs to be completely dark. Do you think this is merited?

For reference, the tank is 75g with a 20g sump. I have an Octopus Extreme 200 skimmer. The lighting is a 48" Teklight with 6 bulbs.

Since it's just a frag tank I removed all my extra rock and have it as clean as possible.

Do you think that Ozone would kill the Dino? I have heard people say it is effective but don't know.

Also, on another note, I have had all my rock in a Rubbermaid container (dark) with a heater and powerhead for about 2 months. Should I feel comfortable that the Dino that was on this rock is gone?

Thank you for any ideas / help.

Dan

No, never did. I took down my frag tank and that was the end of that. That was a really frustrating problem! The good news is my main tank never got them. I'm not sure why buy i'm glad. Wish I had better news.

Back