Pavona coral seems to be receding or dying

Recci

I have a green pavona coral that seems to be dying back at the tips and base. The tips and base are turning white then looking to turn brown. I assume its dying from the tips? I also have montipora in the tank and they seem to be growing well so I cant understand why this pavona is dying.

Isn't it one of the hardiest corals going?

I also have a hammer, torch and duncan in the tank and some softies. The duncan has grown several new heads since being in the tank but I have not had much growth from the hammer or torch. My gsp is thriving however and several of the mushrooms have split.

I have noticed the last few days that the duncan and torch are not opening up properly and seem to be skulking a bit.

My params are as follows:

magnesium 1300
calcium 470
DKH 8.5
phosphate 0.03
nitrate 0 (no reading on a red sea pro kit)
ammonia 0
salinity 1.028
temp around 27°C

The tank is a red sea max nano with the AI prime light at 47% and set to full spectrum 12000k.

I realise that the salinity is a little high and so is the temperature and will bring them down. And also that my nitrates are to low. But my params have been like this a while and it has not caused any problems before. The only thing that has really changed is that I have brought the alkalinity down from around 11 to 8.5 over that last couple of weeks.

Before i got my dosing pump i was having large alk swings and it never caused this to happen so I can only assume that its starving due to lack of nitrates? the other coral are sucking it up before it gets any?

I have only been changing about 7 or 8 Litres of water every two weeks could this be a lack of trace elements?

I am open to suggestions here?

Attachments

• IMG_20181031_145810815.jpg
    IMG_20181031_145810815.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20181017_220626331.jpg
    IMG_20181017_220626331.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1
Looks like pavona to me.
Maybe too much light?
In the photo, it’s the two brightest spots that are receding..
hard to say.
Is it new to the tank?

Back