PETCO experience

it depend on manager. i have been to about 5 petco in st. louis area and they all suck in the fish dept. but the one in edwardsville, illinois has a saltwater tank keeper for a manager and the saltwater tanks at that petco have great looking fish with many to choose from no dead ones and very clean. by the way i only browse at petco i buy from beldts in st. louis and they are the best.

i was at my local petco about a month ago and was talking to the kid in the fish section for a few min.. he didnt know all that much but seemed to make an effort to learn a few things on his own. and wanted to learn more then what they taught him.. which was squat.. there tanks were a mess and pretty much empty.. no dead fish though.. i stopped in again a few days ago and it was like a complete turn around.. the same kid was there and proud as hell of his accomplishments.. they had angels, triggers,clowns, damsels ect.. all the fish looked fantastic.. i seen no ich.. no blemishes. tanks were very clean.. the fish were very lively.
and the kid told me that saltwater live stock is on the chopping block. he was bummed.. and i felt for him..its not often a low paying job like that gets an employee who really does care and takes pride in his accomplishments.

i work at a petco in Cherry hill NJ, and i can say that most other stores and their fish people dont really care or know anything about saltwater. they gave me a half hour to train someone for a new store. A HALF HOUR! but luckily they send most their customers my way. They have no real training program to teach their employees how to take care of the marine life. everything i know is from other hobbists, mags, here of course and books. they never taught or attempted to teach me, luckily i just knew.

i can say however, my store is not like most. my tanks are almost always algae free, and dead free. unless i had off and no one helped out, which is usually the case.

and yes most petcos are getting rid of salt anyway :(

That would be false... some petcos are getting rid of their saltwater, but not the majority. Only the ones with low saltwater sales are getting rid of their saltwater. :rolleyes:

oh ok, i heard it was most.

Fishfirst does this bug you to, on the freshwater side we have so many fish that are so stinkin close to eachother.
Examples: sunset platies, sunburst platies : sunburst mickey mouse, assorted mickey mouse(which all look just like the sunburst) : dalmation mollies, lyretail dalmation : marble molly, marble lyretail : small red platies, med red platies, red wag platies : sml med and lrg chinese algae eaters, all within an inch of each other and so on.
really bugs me.

lol... yeah... and there is always a price difference for the fish that look exactly the same as well hahah

i thought it was just me..
me and my husband went in once and actually counted the dead fish, lets just say the ratio of live to dead was not pretty...
at least 30 fish dead...
wouldnt u at least scoop them out once u see them ?
they cant do anything and they have nothing going for them but horibble prices..
ANd they buy in bulk so no excuse works..
horrible excuse for a "fish" seller.

Nevermind the fact that even if they had people who knew reefkeeping skills. They systems installed @ most Petco's aren't setup properly for freshwater, let alone Salt..

Back