Ph a little low

Daurland

I just check my ph with a Calibrated meter and api test and it came out to 7.8

What’s a way to get it up

Please help

I just check my ph with a Calibrated meter and api test and it came out to 7.8

What’s a way to get it up

Please help
Increase air exchange by getting your water surface moving more.
Run your skimmers airline outdoors to collect lower CO2 air.
Add a CO2 scrubber to your skimmer air intake. (expensive long term).
Open a window (seasonal obviously).
Run a refugium or algae scrubber on a light schedule opposite to your tank lights.

Increase air exchange by getting your water surface moving more.
Run your skimmers airline outdoors to collect lower CO2 air.
Add a CO2 scrubber to your skimmer air intake. (expensive long term).
Open a window (seasonal obviously).
Run a refugium or algae scrubber on a light schedule opposite to your tank lights.
Only thing with that is I’m running a fluval 407 canister so get the wave maker to move the top more would be best option

Only thing with that is I’m running a fluval 407 canister so get the wave maker to move the top more would be best option
Enclosed filter systems like canister filters definitely work against you in terms of PH. Adding a hang-on or in-tank skimmer could be helpful.

If it's winter where you are, having all the windows and doors closed works against you because of CO2 build-up in the home. If your tank is in the basement this is more prevalent because CO2 sinks in air.

Btw, while pegging PH is all the rage right now, many successful tanks have been maintained with a PH of 7.8.

Last edited:
Enclosed filter systems like canister filters definitely work against you in terms of PH. Adding a hang-on or in-tank skimmer could be helpful.

If it's winter where you are, having all the windows and doors closed works against you because of CO2 build-up in the home. If your tank is in the basement this is more prevalent because CO2 sinks in air.

Btw, while pegging PH is all the rage right now, many successful tanks have been maintained with a PH of 7.8.
Everything is running and looking well corals are opened up fish are doing well just would like to bump it up to at least 8.0 but can’t win it all

I moved my wave maker up to get the top working a lot more than it was
See how that does in a 24 hour time

Agreed 7.8 isn’t bad but if you want yours higher, the easiest is adding gas exchange with water movement at the surface. If you have a solid top, perhaps look into a mesh top or use egg crate (I use this on my 65, cut to size). If the only movement you have is from your canister, you could look at adding a small wavemaker to the tank

Agreed 7.8 isn’t bad but if you want yours higher, the easiest is adding gas exchange with water movement at the surface. If you have a solid top, perhaps look into a mesh top or use egg crate (I use this on my 65, cut to size). If the only movement you have is from your canister, you could look at adding a small wavemaker to the tank
Never thought of that. If you have a glass top, that really works against you too. But truly not chasing PH is the best idea.

I have it open top right now waiting for a mesh kit to come in due to having canister I need a lot of cut outs and 90s needed for around everything t

Back