ph probes

wishntoboutside

professional snow flake
hello all,

Question about ph probes that a few may be able to help with.

what is the difference between standard, lab grade, and double junction probes.

Also when calibrating for calcium reactor.. using 4 and 7 fluid. and tank probe is 7 and 10 fluid. what difference should these be if any after calibrating if I put both in my tank? I am playing with 3 probes and I do not know which one is good.

Thanks for your help.

There is an electrolyte fluid in the probe, when the fluid runs out the probe is done unless it’s the refillable type. In the course of measuring, very small amounts of the fluid permeate the porous /junction of the probe (glass tip). A double junction lowers the amount of electrolyte that permeates and will last longer.

Lab grade is more precise but really not necessary for our needs.

The probe that’s good will read 7.0 in the 7.0 buffer and 10 in the 10 buffer once calibrated. If your probe is translucent look to see how much electrolyte is left,themore the better.

When calibrating, dip the probe in RO/DI water and wipe with a paper towel before starting and between buffers. Small amounts of tank water or the other buffer will change the pH of your referance buffer/calibration solution.

Also, if the probe is used and has any calcium carbonate buildup on it, some it in vinegar first to get all that off. It will contaminate the pH buffer. Be sure to get ll the vingar off too as it will contaminate the buffer as well.

HTH

When am I comeing out to see your tank?

Hello Mark.

Thanks for your response. what my problem is after calibrating one probe in 4 and 7 it reads 7.89 and the one that was done in 7 and 10 solitons measures 8.36 after calibration. I had a brand new probe that I tried.. solution was dried up and it ready 2.86 so that one is thrash but the other 2 I think should be closer. although they were calibrated in different solutions.

let me know when you are in the area as you are welcome to stop by anytime. I am off vanburen and the 91

Stick the dried up one in vinegar for a day or two, i had one that had been dry for years that breathed new life into it. Heck, i live off McKinley so I’m In the area now.

We can get your setup. I’ve got a spare NIB probe I can bring by.

How long did you leave the probe in the calibration fluid?

these were calibrated using a Vertex Cerebra so I think close to 10 minutes or so as it goes thru a check and balance thing on its calibration. trying to set up a new calcium reactor so I want to make sure all is accurate.

these were calibrated using a Vertex Cerebra so I think close to 10 minutes or so as it goes thru a check and balance thing on its calibration. trying to set up a new calcium reactor so I want to make sure all is accurate.

I wonder if the calibration solution got contaminated?

Back