Phosbane Reactor help

aquapod24

Hi everyone I just cannot seem to get this reactor by two little fishes to work. I am running npx bio plastic and keep having to throw it. I cannot get them to tumble. I only put 1.5" which is a quarter of the bag. I originally used a max jet 900, then 1200 and even tried a rio pump rated up to 900 gph. With the rio I can get minimum tumble. I know I must be doing something wrong the rio pump should be overkill and I run it full blast. I have watched videos of those bio plastics tumbling good with the max jet 1200. I have half inch tube and maybe 1.5 foot from sump to reactor. I am about to give up on this one and just grab the one by innovative marine with the pump built in if I can't get this to work. I really don't want to so please help my fellow reefers thank you.

Are you plugging the pump into the center inlet and not the one that is further towards the outer lid? If so, I'd make sure the tube or inlets/outlets aren't clogged by anything.

Its a pretty straight forward piece of equipment.

try putting a filter on the inlet to the pump - mine kept clogging and would stop tumbling after a few days. I added a piece of sponge to the MJ1200 inlet and that solved the problem for me. I also changed to the High Cap GFO.

dumb question but did you instal the adjustable turn valve on the inlet tube so you could adjust the flow of the media?
Also if you are running full flow and the media is not tumbling then it sounds like the media might be getting clumped together so just give the tube a shake or two two get them unstuck. Sometimes the media will clump together real good when air gets compressed in their so giving it a shake will loosen the media thus letting it tumble. Also ensure ur tube or line has no air pockets stuck in their as it will slow flow.

Occasionally mine will not tumble when adding new media so shaking the tube a bit will free them from compression.

I took it to Jin at vivid and we played and played with it. What we ended up doing is changing the bottom plastic piece with the sponge. We finally got it to tumble! Not much but just enough to work.

You have to replace the sponge with the small plastic mesh when using larger gfo. I'd test the reactor with nothing in it and see if the water is flowing. If it doesn't, then it must be clogged. If it does flow quickly then it's something you're adding to blocked it.

That's what I originally had is the small plastic mesh on the bottom and top. I was getting flow through a lot of water coming out. Issue was no tumble at all. So Jin changed the bottom plastic mesh out with the sponge. I still have the plastic mesh on the top

Yeah it doesn't make sense that you were getting a high amount of flow through the reactor without the gfo tumbling. You get less flow using the sponge.

At least now its working.

Yeah tell me about it no sense at all I had one running in my 38g tank with plastic mesh on bottom and top no issues at all.

I did mine with no mesh or anything at the bottom, just the mesh & plate at the top. The bottom is just the open pipe. Tumbles great

I am not sure of the brand but I got it from Home Depot in the Garden center on sale. It was rated up to 430 GPH

Back