Phosphate remover??

Starfiretank

So what is the best thing to use to reduce phosphates i am sure a reactor would be the best is there something easier or possibly cheaper? Possibly a deep sand bed?
Nanocube010.jpg
[/IMG]

I posted in your other thread

Yes - a reactor running GFO would probably be best

I use the Two Little Fishies Reactors - one to run carbon , one to run GFO. But if I was buying new, I would get the reactor and bulk GFO from bulkreefsupply

shown here

You don't have to have a reactor, you could use it passively in a fine net bag.

Are you running a skimmer, if so, what kind?

You want the ferric oxide type as seen here:

GFO

It definately looks like you have a problem, how long has the tank been setup? I am not sure how much you feed, but I would cut it back and see what happens.

--Ray

EDIT: Oops I see Superstein beat me to the punch

You could build a reactor using PVC too. There's really nothing terribly magical about reactors in general...just a place to store carbon, etc. I know the spinning little plates look fancy and all, but I think that passively run stuff will work just as well and won't cost you nearly as much.

Thanks ray.
I will look in to it i have been feeding more. about two to three small meals a day. The tank is only about 5 mos. old.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14180914#post14180914 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Starfiretank
Thanks ray.
I will look in to it i have been feeding more. about two to three small meals a day. The tank is only about 5 mos. old.

Ok, then some of that algae makes sense if the tank is so young.

I would feed once a day, sometimes I forget to even feed my fish.

What skimmer are you running?

Believe it or not i dont use a skimmer on this tank yet it is only a 34gal custom starfire tank, no sump. so I am looking for a good hang on skimmer. The only thing i do is a 15 gal. water change once a week.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14180981#post14180981 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Starfiretank
Believe it or not i dont use a skimmer on this tank yet it is only a 34gal custom starfire tank, no sump. so I am looking for a good hang on skimmer. The only thing i do is a 15 gal. water change once a week.

I think this is your biggest problem.

You need a skimmer badly :)

I think Octopus makes a decent HOB needlewheel skimmer:

Check out the BH-800S

http://saltycritter.com/protein-skimmers/octopus-skimmers.htm

Also the warner marine:

http://saltycritter.com/protein-skimmers/warner-marine-hang-on-protein-skimmers.htm

--Ray

Back