Phytoplankton on Red / Blue LEDs only

Can I grow phytoplankton on 4 strips of Red and Blue LEDs only? Like this one.
thank you
Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 7.02.25 PM.png

That should work. A bajillion years ago when I grew phyto, I used an old fluorescent grow light.

Thank you for the replies.
Red/blue light is good for plant or algae growth. But is it also optimal for phytoplankton?
Or should I use the regular white shop light?
My aim is to maximize the growth rate.

thank you

Last edited:
I haven't looked into what spectrum phytoplankton needs, but Samsung 301H series LEDs are specially made for plant growth and very inexpensive relative to reef LEDs.

If it were me, I would go with AC Infinity IONBEAM S11 over the one pictured in the original picture -- It's the same style and comes with a dimmer and programable controller.
71LJGRr1neL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

An experiment has been done on the Red / Blue only LEDs and a full spectrum LEDs.
They both run at the same wattage, 4W per strip. I started two 2L bottle with same culture, F2 fertilizer, temperature, light cycle and air aeration.
12h lights on, 12h lights off. After 3 days, both cultures became darker. The culture with Red / Blue LEDs stated to show a tag more darker. After 6 days, the culture with Red / Blue LEDs is definitely growing faster. I added more F2 to them. On 11 days, unfortunately both cultures crashed. Only clear water with foul smell left. Surprisingly, they both crashed over night at the same time. Very peculiar. Anyway, this experiment shows the Red / Blue only LEDs are more efficient to the growth.

Back