Pics of your multiple ballasts mounted (Pics included)

TCU Reefer

Premium Member
I'm in the middle of a 215g in wall project and I'm ready to wire up my lighting but need ideas how and where to mount the ballast. I will be running 3 250 MH and 2 six foot actinics (3 250 MH IceCap ballasts and 1 IceCap 660). Since the tank backs into a closet, I am not limited to just under the stand. I have a DIY lighting rack seen here.

P1210012Medium.jpg

P1210014Medium.jpg

Give me ideas how and where to mount these 4 ballasts as well as keeping the wiring fairly tidy. Thanks a lot.

I see a duct there keep it cose to that. run the wires like the rope supporting the fixtuer, make it so it neatly curls up when you raise.

All mine, when I get the rest, will all go on a shelf over the tank:

29861Shelf_Actinics_Halide.jpg

Do you have room to put a shelf up on the back wall by your vent fan? Then run the cords across the cieling and down.

I actually took out some shelves because they were taking up too much room. I can probably cut it in half (length wise) to put the ballasts on.

Thanks for the idea.

BTX, are you running a Dart on your CL? I am setting up something very similar. CL w/ a 2" intake to the Dart, up to an OM 4- way and 4 1" returns.

Nice plumbing.

Yep... a Dart.

Sounds like your plumbing will be identical to mine. 2" intake, 1.5" from Dart to OM 4-way, then 4 1" returns. Worked well for me.

I did 1" hardline to 1.25" true union valves, back to 1" hardline to 1" bulkheads through the glass and then split that to 2 1" outlets in the tank. If I was to change anything I think I would have done slightly larger lines after the OM. Say 1.25" to 1.5" union Valves back to 1.25" hardline to 1.5" bulkheads splint in the tank to 2 1" or 1.25" outlets.

I'm sure I am losing some flow to head loss but it's plenty as is for my 125gal. Also space was an issue and the smaller line makes it easier to get around and work on it back there.

Thanks for the compliment on my plumbing. :)

I don't start plumbing any section until I have all the major components in hand. Then I start cutting and fitting one section or loop. When I think I've got it, I stop futzing with that loop and work on another for a day or two while looking at the first part and think "How can I shorten runs" and "What if I have to take it apart". Then I redo whatever I came up with and move to something else for a while. I don't start gluing until I have looked at it for 2 days and can't come up with anything to change. It's hard to do when you just want it done, but I rushed the last tank's plumbing and learned the hard way.

Happy DIYing... :D

Thanks for the tips Gawdly! I am still planning out my plumbing layout. You might get a PM from me if I have questions.

I've seen your thread before but I'd like to read it again. Can you post the link for that please?

Thanks again.

Back