NooPsyche K7 Mini and Shade Mounted on Top of Hood??? Would this get Too Hot?

If you cut a hole in the hood of a Red Sea 130 (34G) and sat ./ mounted the K7 with shade on top of the hood, would the light and/or water overheat?'

Would the shade support the weight of the light if you mounted the shade to the hood somehow?

I"m thinking of removing the hood and using this light but I'm not certain I'm going to like the blue light spill into the room when the room is dark. I'd like to have an option to mount this light with a hood if I don't like the hood off.

Any tips here appreciated

Can you post pics of the top and bottom of the hood? I’m not familiar with Red Sea tanks/hoods.

So I don’t run the noopsyches, I just researched them a bit. And operating temperature is something I didn’t recall seeing and can’t find.

@MrClean and @BeanAnimal i know run/ran these (not sure about the minis or not) but may be more helpful

That said, a thought is to do a custom shade, and instead of it going over the light (like I think many shades do), maybe build one out of black acrylic that you can rest the light on instead?

@duganderson I set all three channels to 100% and let it heat up for about 30 minutes. The shell of the light didn't get appreciably warmer. There is a ring around the lens that did get slightly warmer but no where near as warm as hot water coming out of my tap. The lens was very warm and radiated a lot of heat down with the cone of light.

Sorry I don't have a way to get you real temperatures. I don't think you would have a problem with the light melting the hood but a lot of heat would build up under the hood.

HTH

@duganderson I set all three channels to 100% and let it heat up for about 30 minutes. The shell of the light didn't get appreciably warmer. There is a ring around the lens that did get slightly warmer but no where near as warm as hot water coming out of my tap. The lens was very warm and radiated a lot of heat down with the cone of light.

Sorry I don't have a way to get you real temperatures. I don't think you would have a problem with the light melting the hood but a lot of heat would build up under the hood.

HTH

Thank you for running this test and sharing your results. I appreciate it!!! Thank you. Doug

Oddly - the fans do not run hard and the heatsinks don't get more than worm, which is a bit concerning. They put out decent par, but I don't put a current meter on the PSU or between the PSU and fixture. Maybe the simply don't use the power stated. I know that my GHL Mitras have larger fans and heatsinks and at full output are hard to touch.

Back