PITA brown algae!

Reef This

Premium Member
I'm not really new to the hobby, but this is something I've never really experienced before.

I added this little 13.5G Fluval tank to my home, in addition to the 120G reef thats been going for about 7 years now. I bought 4 clownfish, all tank raised to add to the 120, and they did not get a long, so I moved 2 of them to the 13.5 That's all the fish in the tank.

Hannah says PO4 is 0.
Red Sea said no ammonia or nitrite - nitrates are undetectable with 2 different tests - Red sea and API. pH 8.1. Temp around 79.

I run fluval sponge, water polishing, both cleaned almost every day, every other at the worst. Seachem Matrix. Chemi Pure Blue and Purigen changed every month.

Lighting is an AI HD prime 16. 10 hours total time, ramp up and ramp down. I had 2 extra Ecotech Versa pumps I did not end up using, they perform a 1.5G water change every Sunday, using the same water source as the 120 which does not have the algae problem.

I cannot get rid of this stuff, it's brown, sometimes can almost look look like it's almost furry looking on the rock. The other day I could see it sitting on top of the water when the power was turned off for electrical work in the house..

Any ideas? I'd greatly appreciate it.

My only possible guesses are overfeeding, dirty socks, leftover carbon bags?
I've been told lighting can affect that sort of thing too- I use an AI lamp, what settings are yours on?

Other than that I'd just get a toothbrush and a siphon and start scrubbing. I helped take care of a 300 tank at school, we had brown furry and hairy algae issues on and off.
Also, maybe provide a pic?

My only possible guesses are overfeeding, dirty socks, leftover carbon bags?
I've been told lighting can affect that sort of thing too- I use an AI lamp, what settings are yours on?

Other than that I'd just get a toothbrush and a siphon and start scrubbing. I helped take care of a 300 tank at school, we had brown furry and hairy algae issues on and off.
Also, maybe provide a pic?

another note- could just be random diatoms? i watched a BRS vid the other day that recommended this product https://store.drtimsaquatics.com/waste-away.html for pesky algae. heres the vid

hope that helps too!!

Where did the rock in the small tank come from? You may have imported your trouble. A pic would help with ID. Is it algae, diatoms... ?

Back