Placement of Corals

FTDelta

I've searched all over the internet of proper placement of corals that can be placed in a reef aquarium. Is there sort of a guide of sorts to aid those starting out/planning corals so they know what's the best place to put them on LR?

Perhaps a list of corals that can be placed High, High to middle, Middle, Middle to bottom, and bottom placements.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I haven't found a comprehensive list, but if you do a Google search for the coral name typically it will come up with a list of websites that have the specs and care requirements for the coral or fish.

I don't know if I can put the sites name but it normally comes up at the top of the list and it's initials are LA.

IE: This is for the Duncan Coral...
Care Level: Moderate
Temperament: Peaceful
Lighting: Low to Moderate
Waterflow: Low
Placement: Bottom to Middle
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025
Color Form: Green, Purple
Supplements: Calcium, Strontium, Trace Elements
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: Aquacultured
Family: Dendrophylliidae

Depending on the type of lights you are running and the amount of lights will need to be factored in as well as how deep your tank is.

I know nothing is easy..

I am fairly new to the hobby (almost a year now) and I struggle with this very question whenever i add anything to my tanks.

I have found that the suggestion to start low and watch your coral as you slowly over days or weeks move the coral up in the water column.

I ahve started accros in the sand and some keep all of their color and have great polyp extension. Others fade in color. I ahve read that if a coral pales (bleaches) it is getting too much light and if it browns it is not getting enough. This does not seem to work with all of my stock but it is a good starting point.

good luck to ya!

I guess the only thing I need to do is simply choose my corals on my wish list, read and do research on them before making a final decision.

Most corals can tolerate a range of lighting and flow. The reason there is no set guide on where to place corals is because every tank will have different guidelines. It is completely dependent on your personal lighting and flow. Best thing would be to post a thread with questions if you're not sure where to place a coral, and we can help you out!

Yea, I'm sure just bout everything a new guy would get has been done. RC is so big, most of my google searches end up here anyway

Aquarium Corals, Borneman.

Excellent source of quality information on this subject.

A thorough, advanced level of knowledge is essential in regards to this aspect of ReefKeeping ...

One the many difficulties/nuances of keeping a successful, thriving mixed reef !

Depending on the type of lights you are running and the amount of lights will need to be factored in as well as how deep your tank is.

I know nothing is easy..

You definitely have to take those into acount.

I use Liveaquaria.com as a general guide.

They provide information such as below for each coral:

DFS Green People Eaters Zoanthus IM (Zoanthus gigantus)

Care Level: Easy
Temperament: Semi-aggressive
Lighting: Moderate
Waterflow: Medium
Placement: Bottom to Middle
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, sg 1.023-1.025, pH 8.0-8.4
Supplements: Iodine, Trace Elements
Compatibility: View Chart

Again, this is not a "bible" if you will, but it gives a beginner like me a place to start.
So if I was buying this type of coral, I see it should have moderate lighting, medium waterflow and should be placed bottom to middle of my tank.

If there is coral you want to know and cannot find it on their site, I google the name of the coral and placement.

So in google I would type in something like:
Green People Eaters Zoanthus placement

You should have a few threads to look at that contain the information you are looking for.

As grcforce above me posted, liveaquaria gives you information on stuff like that as well.

Here is what it says for a Hammer Coral:
It is moderately difficult to maintain, but with proper water conditions in the aquarium, it will thrive. It will require moderate lighting combined with moderate water movement within the aquarium. At night, its sweeper tentacles can extend up to six inches in the reef aquarium, stinging other species of corals and animals. Allow plenty of room between it and other neighboring corals. For continued good health, it will also require the addition of calcium, strontium, and other trace elements to the water.

Back