Planning return pump for new 255G

jezzeaepi

Howdy,

I am in the process of setting up a new 255G tank, and I need some advice on what to do about the return pump. My tank has two 3/4 in returns, and a Ghost Overflow(2k gph rated). Id like to run two return pumps for redundancy(each will be run off a separate circuit). I already have an Ehiem 1260 from a previous build that I will be reusing to run from the sump through my chiller, and up to one of the returns. I am still trying to decide on what pump I should use for the second return pump. I would like for this pump to be more powerful so I can run a manifold, and eventually feed a frag tank as well. I wont be plumbing the frag tank from day one though, so that adds a bit of complexity as I am looking for some flexibility. That will likely be a few months down the road.

Ive been going back and forth on which pump to use. Part of the problem is that I will be using 3/4 pipe, so that limits me from going with a larger pump as my understanding is that reducing the pipe size has a huge affect on the head loss(and ultimately the actual flow). I will have to pump up ~4feet, and there will be at least 3 elbows, possibly 4.

The ones I am considering are:
1. Syncra Silent 5.0 Pump (1321 GPH) - Large AC pump that uses a lot of power but also very reliable. It is rated for 3/4" pipe, so I should get full flow out of it.
2. Vectra M1 DC (2000 GPH) - I am nervous about the reliability given all the negative reviews. It is rated for 3/4" so I will get full advertised flow and it uses a lot less power.
3. COR-20 Intelligent Return Pump (2000 GPH) - I am nervous on reliability since they are new. This is rated for 1.25" though so will run at a much reduced rate until I add a frag tank.
4. VarioS-6 Controllable DC Pump (1720 GPH) - Seems to have slightly better reliability. Also rated for 1.25" pipe, but I list it 4th because I plan on running a Neptune Apex controller.

I am not overly concerned with running max possible flow through my sump. Id just like to hit 5x flow from the return and call it good. Knowing I will add a frag tank at some point makes me want to plan on having extra ability to turn up the flow on the DC pump when I bring it online.

Thoughts or recommendations? Am I missing something?

I run the Cor20 on a 150 gal. Great pump, but might not be enough for your system. I sold my old L1 while it was new as there are way too many negative reviews out there. Remember you want a larger pump set at lower % instead an M1or Cor20 set at higher intensities.

What about with 1260 in addition to the COR20 though? I figured those two together should get me close to 1275GPH.

The problem with going with a bigger pump is that they tend to require bigger piping which exaggerates my headloss issue using the .75" return.

Reconsider coming back over the top through 2 or 3 Sea Swirls using 1" pipe all the way to the 3/4" units.
Solves a multitude of problems right away.

I don't want to use the sea swirls. Plus if I did 1 inch piping to the 3/4 inch unit it would still have the same headloss issue.

Or maybe I just don't understand how calculate head loss? If I do 1.25" pipe, with a 3/4" reducer at the return hole in the tank, would that be a lot less headloss?

Howdy,

The ones I am considering are:
1. Syncra Silent 5.0 Pump (1321 GPH) - Large AC pump that uses a lot of power but also very reliable. It is rated for 3/4" pipe, so I should get full flow out of it.
2. Vectra M1 DC (2000 GPH) - I am nervous about the reliability given all the negative reviews. It is rated for 3/4" so I will get full advertised flow and it uses a lot less power.
3. COR-20 Intelligent Return Pump (2000 GPH) - I am nervous on reliability since they are new. This is rated for 1.25" though so will run at a much reduced rate until I add a frag tank.
4. VarioS-6 Controllable DC Pump (1720 GPH) - Seems to have slightly better reliability. Also rated for 1.25" pipe, but I list it 4th because I plan on running a Neptune Apex controller.

All pretty solid pumps.
Of the 4, the Sicce will probably make the most noise. I've recently read about a couple people saying they louder than they had hoped for.

My favorite would be the M1.
The COR and the VarioS would be apex friendly.

Thanks, Mfinn. Ive been thinking some more and maybe it's worth stepping up to the 2700gph various so I have more flexibility. I'll run 1.25" plumbing to the 3/4" return to try to minimize headloss. I found some headloss calculators, and simply running a reducer cause a lot less headloss than I expected. This pump will also set me up for splitting the flow later to run a frag tank and a reactor or two, I think.

Btw, did you used to post on reef frontiers? It's been ages since I posted in forums, but recently got back in to the pnw Facebook group.

Thanks, Mfinn. Ive been thinking some more and maybe it's worth stepping up to the 2700gph various so I have more flexibility. I'll run 1.25" plumbing to the 3/4" return to try to minimize headloss. I found some headloss calculators, and simply running a reducer cause a lot less headloss than I expected. This pump will also set me up for splitting the flow later to run a frag tank and a reactor or two, I think.

Btw, did you used to post on reef frontiers? It's been ages since I posted in forums, but recently got back in to the pnw Facebook group.

I went to a VarioS-6S skimmer pump about a year ago.
I'm pretty happy with it. Really can't hear the pump at all.

Yes, RF was home for a number of years for me.
Also on FB in several different groups.

Back