Please help diagnose my tang....

pashari

....I have a 60 gal tank. Tank is about 3.5 y/o with 70 lbs of LR, 3 Power Heads and a Canister Filter. Have numerous blue legged hermits, mandarin, a clown, what I thought was a strawberry goby but just today was told is a psuedochromis (sp?) - bright pink with blue eyes - and the yellow tang. Have one cleaner shrimp and one emerald crab and three turbo snails.

Redid the tank about 6 months ago - had some pretty large, aggressive damsels and removed them as well as my two urchins who just chowed all my corraline, rearranged my LR and added the above. Did about a 30% water change at that time. Substrate is about 3 inches of crushed coral and shells. Had a hair algae bloom about 2 months after the change, but got it under control within 6 weeks and tank runs pretty smooth.

Feed a variety of flake food & frozen - paying attention to the greens for the tang. Also clip the seaweed select to the tank about twice a week. I feed about three times per day - think I may actually overfeed, but hope the hermits can keep things in check. Have great supply of opods for madarine - who is flourishing.

Lighting is plain flourecent (4 bulbs) - 2 50/50, 1 100% actinic and 1 Marine Glo. LR shows good corraline growth covering about 30 - 40% of the LR mostly purple in color although some areas do look a little bleached.

Now to my poor tang. About two months ago started to look a bit rough around the edges. Not looking like it was being picked on, just the top and bottom fin started looking very spiky. LPS said it was a green deficency hence added the seaweed select. Condition did not improve. Went back today and they gave me this "vita chem" by Boyd Enterprised saying to soak the seaweed select with this stuff prior to putting it in the tank.

Here is a URL to a photo of the fish at snapfish: http://images.snapfish.com/345::57;4fp337>nu=3274>737>;38>WSNRCG=32334787<:844nu0mrj Fish is a bit pale with brown spot but I just turned the lights on to take the photo.

Tang is active and is eating - no sunk sides. No other discolerations. I posted on saltwaterfish.com and someone suggested HLLE but I don't think it's the same as there is not blood spots/lines and no sunk sides.

Parameters pH - 8.2, Ammonia -0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrate a bit high at about 40 ppm.

Any ideas????

Thanks for any help.

It looks like an extreme case of HLLE with nutritional deficiencies. We need to examine what, when and how you feed the tang and other fish. Do you use Selcon and vitamins? How do you store the foods and when did you purchase the foods?

Terry B

Also do you do monthly water changes? There are lots of nasties that build up in the water that we can't test for that can affect the fishes health. But it also looks like HLLE from the angle of the photo to me.

I do water changes about every 3 weeks - 10% or about 7 gallons.

I feed the seaweed select every other day soaked in a vitamin stuff sold by the LFS. vita-chem.

Feed flake twice a day (Omega One Veggie Flakes, Omega One Marine Flakes w/Garlic & Tetra Marine Color w/brine shrimp).

I also feed frozen brine in the evening along with a frozen algea mix. I bought these from my LFS about 3 weeks ago. In fact, need to get some new supply.

Is this okay???

lisa

Back