Please help ID this Macro

Critter!

Premium Member
This Macro began to grow on a rock about 6 months after the rock was added to my system. I moved it to my 'fuge where it has become the dominate player. I have showed cuttings to several prominent authors in this hobby, but none were familiar with it. It grows fast and does not seem to go asexual. I take a few pounds of it to the LFS every other week and receive a $20 store credit. That with a few Montipora frags, I have not had to pay cash for anything at my LFS in months.

I will post a pix of a piece of it out of the water on the following post.
John Coffey

John,

How long are the cyndrical, fingerlike projections ? About 3 cm? Does the plant exhibit distinct calcified rings, or bands that encircle the entire upright ? Are the tops fuzzy ? Or are the fronds fleshy ? Do you know the origin of you LR ? It is a tough macro to ID, but we will give it a try.

Tim

Ludwigia,
Thanks for the offer. It does seem to be a rare one.

I will insert comments:

How long are the cyndrical, fingerlike projections ? About 3 cm?
YES 3 CM

Does the plant exhibit distinct calcified rings,-NO RINGS
or bands that encircle the entire upright ? NO

Are the tops fuzzy ? TOPS ARE NOT FUZZY, BUT A HAIRY FUZZY HOLD FAST SEEMS TO DEVELOP ON OLDER PEICES.
Or are the fronds fleshy ? SOMEWHAT, BUT FIRM

Do you know the origin of you LR ? NO - IT WAS A PLANT ROCK THAT HAD TWO OTHER VERY COMMON TYPES. THOSE WERE EATEN/WENT ASEXUAL AND THIS STUFF APPEARED. HAVE HAD THE ROCK FOR ABOUT 2 YRS AND STUFF STILL KEEPS COMING OUT OF IT.

It is a tough macro to ID, but we will give it a try.

Looks like it, BUT:

Looks like it, BUT:

Hey,
It looks like it, but the fronds on mine are longer, but you really cant tell from that small sample.
I sure feel special have a rare unknow :). LFS just gave me another $20 credit for about two weeks worth of growth.
John

Back