Please help New to Saltwater and building new tank/stand everything

Ipsouth1978 thanks for the great info! I guess next question is where did you get your acrylic overflow boxes then and why type of overflow did you go with the Bean Animal? If so do you have pictures of the holes drilled and or finished product ?

I wished you was in Indiana. I'd break you in on all this. I'm doing a big build. My RO/DI been running two days in a roll non stop filling up tanks.

I wished you was in Indiana. I'd break you in on all this. I'm doing a big build. My RO/DI been running two days in a roll non stop filling up tanks.

I wish too!!! Maybe there is someone out there that is on these forums that lives close to me that will extend an invite and maybe even help me drill the holes :)

I'm very slowly building up the courage to drill my own tank with a Bean Animal configuration, and another voice just tells me to get the standard dual overflow from Aqueon lol. Damnit!! LOL

Drilling is easy. There are many youtube how to. Go to a glass company and get a few scrap pieces about 1/4" thick and try. Remember one thing your cutting with friction. Hot class will crack. Keep wet and slow.

Ok this is what I found for a Bean Animal overflow. The large is rated for 100 - 150 gallon tanks.

Are these Eclipse overflows by EShopps any good? I like it because it seems to be low profile and I'm seriously considering mounting it on the left side rather than the back any suggestions?
Thanks!

Ok this is what I found for a Bean Animal overflow. The large is rated for 100 - 150 gallon tanks.

Are these Eclipse overflows by EShopps any good? I like it because it seems to be low profile and I'm seriously considering mounting it on the left side rather than the back any suggestions?
Thanks!

I used the Eshopps Eclipse Medium on my 40b. The Large is simply too big for my tank, so I only have a herbie on mine. I have pictures of the tank with the holes drilled on my home computer and can post them tonight for you. I am really happy with the overflow. Synergy reefs ghost overflow is really nice too and designed for a bean animal.

Do you in the long run think then it's a better idea to buy a standard 125 gallon tank and drill it to put in my own vs. buying a reef ready tank?

THanks!

Do you in the long run think then it's a better idea to buy a standard 125 gallon tank and drill it to put in my own vs. buying a reef ready tank?

THanks!
Drilling your own gives you play as to where to put the flow box. Plus takes a lot less space.

Ok so here is what I finally decided to do after hearing from you all and researching online.

I've decided to go with the Aquarium Master. Apparently their new tanks do use the cross support bar and glass. I'm going with the 135 standard aquarium that measures 72" long x 18" deep x 24" tall. I was going to go with the 120 gallon model but it was only 48" long x 24 x24" and I want the fish to have room to swim back and forth.

If you think the 120 would be best, please let me know cause I'm going tomorrow morning to get it. The 135 gallon is being sold for $279 + tax so $300 here.

The front, back and bottom of the tank are tempered and ONLY the sides are not. So my plan is to drill the left side of the tank that is 18" wide. Is this ok? I really need to know if this will be ok or will it limit me on the box that I can place. I'm looking to drill a bean animal overflow. I guess the returns would have to go on the same side? That way nobody see it it from the entrance when they come in. Is it ok that both the overflow and return are on the same side and close?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ok so here is what I finally decided to do after hearing from you all and researching online.

I've decided to go with the Aquarium Master. Apparently their new tanks do use the cross support bar and glass. I'm going with the 135 standard aquarium that measures 72" long x 18" deep x 24" tall. I was going to go with the 120 gallon model but it was only 48" long x 24 x24" and I want the fish to have room to swim back and forth.

If you think the 120 would be best, please let me know cause I'm going tomorrow morning to get it. The 135 gallon is being sold for $279 + tax so $300 here.

The front, back and bottom of the tank are tempered and ONLY the sides are not. So my plan is to drill the left side of the tank that is 18" wide. Is this ok? I really need to know if this will be ok or will it limit me on the box that I can place. I'm looking to drill a bean animal overflow. I guess the returns would have to go on the same side? That way nobody see it it from the entrance when they come in. Is it ok that both the overflow and return are on the same side and close?

I personally prefer the longer tank. Drilling the side and having the returns on that same side is perfectly acceptable. You will be using wave makers and powerheads to move water in the system and keep debris in the water column so it can be swept into your sump, skimmer, and filter socks. Research peninsula tanks and you will see that this is quite common.

$300 for a new 135 is a great price too. It sounds like you have a solid plan.

Here are the Pics I promised. I hope they help.

Attachments

• 20180512_131154_resized_1.jpg
    20180512_131154_resized_1.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20180512_131652_resized_1.jpg
    20180512_131652_resized_1.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20180512_131702_resized_1.jpg
    20180512_131702_resized_1.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20180512_194228_resized_1.jpg
    20180512_194228_resized_1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20180512_194750_resized_1.jpg
    20180512_194750_resized_1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1
Wow those Peninsula tanks are cool but $$$ so I'm building mine for like 1/10th lol.

Ok so here's the other argument and not sure if it's talked about on here but between 3 LFS I went to they say this about Aquarium Master:

LFS #1 : Has been around 20 years plus and Sells Aquarium Master and has for years and says they are great tanks for the money better than Aqueon which he says is a good tank as well and carries.

LFS #2 : Says both Aqueon and Aquarium Masters are great!

LFS #3: Says he carries Aqueon cause he doesn't trust Aquarium Masters. He says instead of using clear silicone they use the Black and it will leak after 6-8 years guaranteed!!!??? Has anyone else heard of this? Clear being better than black? This LFS has been around at least 20 years too.

So as you can see how I would be conflicted even though I decided on the Aquarium Master Tank I have this nag nag nag saying the black silicone is bad blah blah blah lol.

IS THIS TRUE??

Thanks!

Wow those Peninsula tanks are cool but $$$ so I'm building mine for like 1/10th lol.

Ok so here's the other argument and not sure if it's talked about on here but between 3 LFS I went to they say this about Aquarium Master:

LFS #1 : Has been around 20 years plus and Sells Aquarium Master and has for years and says they are great tanks for the money better than Aqueon which he says is a good tank as well and carries.

LFS #2 : Says both Aqueon and Aquarium Masters are great!

LFS #3: Says he carries Aqueon cause he doesn't trust Aquarium Masters. He says instead of using clear silicone they use the Black and it will leak after 6-8 years guaranteed!!!??? Has anyone else heard of this? Clear being better than black? This LFS has been around at least 20 years too.

So as you can see how I would be conflicted even though I decided on the Aquarium Master Tank I have this nag nag nag saying the black silicone is bad blah blah blah lol.

IS THIS TRUE??

Thanks!

LFS 1 aquecon are the cheapest tanks made. He sounds he knows better.

LFS 2 Can't put aquecon in the same boat as others. Cheap tanks. Great for smaller tanks for ATO or sumps but once over 40b naaa.

LFS 3 NO. Sounds like he loves his mark up and selling cheaper tankers made for profit. Be careful with that one. Black silly con holds just as well as clear. Look ar a lot of bigger tanks that are rimless and they use black. The high end tanks use black as well. He is filling you with Bull Poopy.

Longer the tank the wider the tank the better. Several reasons gives more surface area for gas exchange. More sq ft for rock placements and rock work.. Fish mostly swim laterally.
Deeper tanks are for creating different depth zones for some fish and for low light corals. Your first one go simple longer better go for real estate not gallons
135 for $300 is a good deal,

Drilling the sides are great. I seen where you said peninsula are nice. Well there you go you can make it into one.

LFS 1 aquecon are the cheapest tanks made. He sounds he knows better.

LFS 2 Can't put aquecon in the same boat as others. Cheap tanks. Great for smaller tanks for ATO or sumps but once over 40b naaa.

LFS 3 NO. Sounds like he loves his mark up and selling cheaper tankers made for profit. Be careful with that one. Black silly con holds just as well as clear. Look ar a lot of bigger tanks that are rimless and they use black. The high end tanks use black as well. He is filling you with Bull Poopy.

I agree with this completely. Black silicone is used regularly and on some very high end tanks. It is the same as clear silicone but with color. I like the look of black silicone too, I think it looks more refined. Lol :)

I am not familiar with Aquarium Masters so I cant comment on the quality, but agree about Aqueon. They are some of the lowest quality tanks, and I would also avoid a large tank from them. I have a 55 gallon Aqueon and might consider a 75g, but no larger. Just my opinion.

Back