Please help take a look at what happened to this clownfish.

I apologize for not being very good at English.

Since setting up the tank about a month ago, the smallest clownfish in the video was introduced when the tank was first established. A few days ago, I bought a pair of clownfish, and today I noticed that one of them seems to be constantly trying to swim out of the tank. The larger clownfish at the beginning of the video appears to be behaving normally. However, the second one in the video is persistently attempting to reach the water surface and seems to have a white film on its body, which is unclear. I would like to ask for everyone's help to see what might be the issue and how to address it.
IMG_6173.jpg

• What filtration system do you use?I use a cylindrical filtration system with white cotton and coral bone.
  • What organisms are in the tank?Originally, there was only a 3cm clownfish in the tank.
  • Water quality data (NO2, NO3, NH3 (ammonia) - if not available, refer to NO2, as it could be ammonia poisoning before the digestive system is established), specific gravity.Water quality data has been measured, and there are no exceeding levels. Specific gravity is 1.023.
  • Do you control the temperature and water entering the tank?Yes, I control the temperature and water entering the tank.
  • Do you have a protein skimmer?No, I don't have a protein skimmer.
    • Are there any missing scales?I don't know how to check, but it looks like the picture with white patches on its body.
    • Do you think the oxygen level is sufficient?Yes.
    • Is there any biological aggression towards it?No.
    • What type of water do you use? (Natural seawater, artificial seawater)Red Sea saltwater.
    • Does the fish have red spots?No.
    • How often do you change the water?Once every three weeks.
    • Are there any abnormalities in the tank?No.
    • Is the amount of feeding excessive?Originally, there was only a 3cm clownfish in the tank, so the feeding amount has always been small. It increased only a few days ago when two larger clownfish were added, now feeding once a day.
    • Is it still alive now?It has already died.
    • How long after setting up the tank did you add the clownfish?I added the 3cm clownfish on the first day of setting up the tank.
    • How do you cultivate the water?I added live rocks when setting up the tank, introduced clownfish, and feed shrimp paste daily.
    • Have you added any pollutants?Would food residue be considered a pollutant?

During the cycling period, there was only one clownfish. After a month of cycling, I added a pair of clownfish and a Goniopora (temperature and water adjusted). The clownfish in the video seemed a bit lethargic on the first day of introduction. After increasing the flow from the pump, it appeared more normal the next day. The reason for increasing water flow was to ease the fish's stress after being newly introduced by enhancing oxygen levels. However, on Saturday, I observed the fish constantly trying to swim to the water surface, and unfortunately, it died in the evening.
The other clownfish, the introduced fish, and the Goniopora seem to be in normal conditions. I'm not sure about the cause of the death. I checked for common issues like ich and flatworms, but it doesn't seem to match. I don't know what the cause could be.

I apologize for not being very good at English.

Since setting up the tank about a month ago, the smallest clownfish in the video was introduced when the tank was first established. A few days ago, I bought a pair of clownfish, and today I noticed that one of them seems to be constantly trying to swim out of the tank. The larger clownfish at the beginning of the video appears to be behaving normally. However, the second one in the video is persistently attempting to reach the water surface and seems to have a white film on its body, which is unclear. I would like to ask for everyone's help to see what might be the issue and how to address it.
View attachment 32395586

• What filtration system do you use?I use a cylindrical filtration system with white cotton and coral bone.
  • What organisms are in the tank?Originally, there was only a 3cm clownfish in the tank.
  • Water quality data (NO2, NO3, NH3 (ammonia) - if not available, refer to NO2, as it could be ammonia poisoning before the digestive system is established), specific gravity.Water quality data has been measured, and there are no exceeding levels. Specific gravity is 1.023.
  • Do you control the temperature and water entering the tank?Yes, I control the temperature and water entering the tank.
  • Do you have a protein skimmer?No, I don't have a protein skimmer.
    • Are there any missing scales?I don't know how to check, but it looks like the picture with white patches on its body.
    • Do you think the oxygen level is sufficient?Yes.
    • Is there any biological aggression towards it?No.
    • What type of water do you use? (Natural seawater, artificial seawater)Red Sea saltwater.
    • Does the fish have red spots?No.
    • How often do you change the water?Once every three weeks.
    • Are there any abnormalities in the tank?No.
    • Is the amount of feeding excessive?Originally, there was only a 3cm clownfish in the tank, so the feeding amount has always been small. It increased only a few days ago when two larger clownfish were added, now feeding once a day.
    • Is it still alive now?It has already died.
    • How long after setting up the tank did you add the clownfish?I added the 3cm clownfish on the first day of setting up the tank.
    • How do you cultivate the water?I added live rocks when setting up the tank, introduced clownfish, and feed shrimp paste daily.
    • Have you added any pollutants?Would food residue be considered a pollutant?

During the cycling period, there was only one clownfish. After a month of cycling, I added a pair of clownfish and a Goniopora (temperature and water adjusted). The clownfish in the video seemed a bit lethargic on the first day of introduction. After increasing the flow from the pump, it appeared more normal the next day. The reason for increasing water flow was to ease the fish's stress after being newly introduced by enhancing oxygen levels. However, on Saturday, I observed the fish constantly trying to swim to the water surface, and unfortunately, it died in the evening.
The other clownfish, the introduced fish, and the Goniopora seem to be in normal conditions. I'm not sure about the cause of the death. I checked for common issues like ich and flatworms, but it doesn't seem to match. I don't know what the cause could be.
Feeding is important. These fish need to be fed at least twice/day but three times/day is better. Download then read, the Fish Nutrition document. Fish should be given supplements when they are ill and sometimes when healthy.

The excess mucous on the fish may likely be a symptom of Brooklynella hostilis (Brook). Treatments include the use of Rally Pro, or Metronidazole. This video may help in this kind of diagnosis:
. This is what they look like under a microscope, if you have access to one.

Adding a fish on the first day of setup is not recommended. The necessary bacteria must be established first. There are bacteria additives to help start the process of getting the right kinds of bacteria established. Adding the additional fish later (as well as the first fish) may have been too soon. Give the aquarium a chance to settle down.

You use natural seawater sometimes? This can bring in diseases, unless it has been 'sterilized.'

From the video, the tank looks small and not particularly clean. What size tank is this?

Feeding is important. These fish need to be fed at least twice/day but three times/day is better. Download then read, the Fish Nutrition document. Fish should be given supplements when they are ill and sometimes when healthy.

The excess mucous on the fish may likely be a symptom of Brooklynella hostilis (Brook). Treatments include the use of Rally Pro, or Metronidazole. This video may help in this kind of diagnosis:
. This is what they look like under a microscope, if you have access to one.

Adding a fish on the first day of setup is not recommended. The necessary bacteria must be established first. There are bacteria additives to help start the process of getting the right kinds of bacteria established. Adding the additional fish later (as well as the first fish) may have been too soon. Give the aquarium a chance to settle down.

You use natural seawater sometimes? This can bring in diseases, unless it has been 'sterilized.'

From the video, the tank looks small and not particularly clean. What size tank is this?
Thank you for your response. I didn't use natural seawater; I used synthetic seawater( Red Sea Salt) . On the first day of setting up the aquarium, I only added a 3cm clownfish. It wasn't until day 30 that I added two clownfish over 10cm in size. The clownfish I added on the first day are still doing well, but the one in the video that kept swimming towards the surface died within three days of entering the tank. Can a parasite cause a fish to die so quickly? I didn't quarantine the new clownfish before introducing them to the tank. If it's a parasitic infection, can it spread to other fish? What should I do now? How should I treat the newly purchased fish before reintroducing them to the tank? Also, how did you determine it was Brooklynella hostilis? Was it because it kept swimming towards the surface, and did it have a whitish film on its body? The tank dimensions are 60cm * 30cm * 36cm.

And currently, the other newly purchased clownfish has white feces. What should I do?

Thank you for your response. I didn't use natural seawater; I used synthetic seawater( Red Sea Salt) . On the first day of setting up the aquarium, I only added a 3cm clownfish. It wasn't until day 30 that I added two clownfish over 10cm in size. The clownfish I added on the first day are still doing well, but the one in the video that kept swimming towards the surface died within three days of entering the tank. Can a parasite cause a fish to die so quickly? I didn't quarantine the new clownfish before introducing them to the tank. If it's a parasitic infection, can it spread to other fish? What should I do now? How should I treat the newly purchased fish before reintroducing them to the tank? Also, how did you determine it was Brooklynella hostilis? Was it because it kept swimming towards the surface, and did it have a whitish film on its body? The tank dimensions are 60cm * 30cm * 36cm.

And currently, the other newly purchased clownfish has white feces. What should I do?
I don't understand why you added a fish the first day? How did you know the proper bacteria were present?

I didn't determine it was Brook. Just a possibility. Brook's tell is usually excess mucous sluffing off the fish. Swimming near the surface could mean a gill fluke/worm. Both of these are best defined using a microscope and experience. Counting how fast the fish is breathing can often spot a gill problem. Count the breaths in 15 seconds. Multiply that by 4. Numbers at or above 140 indicate a gill problem.

Once parasites are introduced into the aquarium, they can be problematic -- depending on what they are, of course. Can they kill that quickly? Absolutely. The fish may have had the parasites/disease before you received it.

What to do? First is getting a proper diagnosis. Without that, the way forward is foggy. White feces could mean an intestinal fluke/worm or another indicator of Brook.

Let's remove the concern about flukes. Treat the fish, in the display tank, with Praziquantel in PraziPro an anthelmintic (deworming) medicine. Used for the treatment of external and internal parasites, flukes, flatworms, and tapeworms. A ‘one then done’ treatment. Add it to water being exchanged if you'll be doing a water change during the treatment. PraziPro is considered reef safe. But not every aquarium resident has been tested. The glycol solvent in Prazipro is a carbon source and bacterial growth scavenges oxygen when it is dosed. So when and if you use it, be sure to aerate the water with an airstone. Follow instructions on the medication.

I don't understand why you added a fish the first day? How did you know the proper bacteria were present?

I didn't determine it was Brook. Just a possibility. Brook's tell is usually excess mucous sluffing off the fish. Swimming near the surface could mean a gill fluke/worm. Both of these are best defined using a microscope and experience. Counting how fast the fish is breathing can often spot a gill problem. Count the breaths in 15 seconds. Multiply that by 4. Numbers at or above 140 indicate a gill problem.

Once parasites are introduced into the aquarium, they can be problematic -- depending on what they are, of course. Can they kill that quickly? Absolutely. The fish may have had the parasites/disease before you received it.

What to do? First is getting a proper diagnosis. Without that, the way forward is foggy. White feces could mean an intestinal fluke/worm or another indicator of Brook.

Let's remove the concern about flukes. Treat the fish, in the display tank, with Praziquantel in PraziPro an anthelmintic (deworming) medicine. Used for the treatment of external and internal parasites, flukes, flatworms, and tapeworms. A ‘one then done’ treatment. Add it to water being exchanged if you'll be doing a water change during the treatment. PraziPro is considered reef safe. But not every aquarium resident has been tested. The glycol solvent in Prazipro is a carbon source and bacterial growth scavenges oxygen when it is dosed. So when and if you use it, be sure to aerate the water with an airstone. Follow instructions on the medication.
Thank you for your advice and explanation. I may not have considered the issue of proper bacteria when adding the fish initially. Regarding the potential parasitic infection, I will consider treating the fish with Praziquantel in PraziPro, being mindful of oxygen supply. I'll try to obtain a more definite diagnosis to ensure the correct course of action. Thanks again for the information, and I'll work on improving the conditions in the tank.

Back