(please help) Uneven Wood Flooring and 240 gallons of water

akopley

Premium Member
My stand and tank just arrived from being built and I have an issue that is keeping me up the past two nights. Tank isn't on the stand yet. The planned location will need to be shimmed to get the stand to a level position. There is a slight downward angle from one side to the other...very slight, but not completely level. The bottom of the stand isn't completely flat (intentionally), there is one flat 2x4 running across the middle and sets of 2" wide birch ribs every foot running the 8' length of the stand. Stand seems well built and level, but the floor panels just aren't all even. I can shim the entire perimeter of the tank (higher on one side to achieve level), but my concern would then be that certain ribs wouldn't be making full contact with the floor. I need some advice please!

You simply need to shim as needed..
Without a good picture of how the stand is built its a little difficult to say where you may need shims..

I personally, with a tank that large would build a sub deck to place the stand on. basically a giant shim that fits the floor perfectly and lines up to my support ribs.

simply shimming the perimeter may work but it depends on how much weight will be inside the stand sitting on those 2" ribs (sump). and how many of those ribs are solidly supported by the floor.

the worst part of an inconsistent floor like that is, those uneven floor boards may shift changing high and low spots once you get all that water weight on it.

another option is to use something like rubber stall mat under the tank stand to remove the inconsistencies, but that will make shimming harder/next to impossible because the stall mat will compress.

I personally, with a tank that large would build a sub deck to place the stand on. basically a giant shim that fits the floor perfectly and lines up to my support ribs.

simply shimming the perimeter may work but it depends on how much weight will be inside the stand sitting on those 2" ribs (sump). and how many of those ribs are solidly supported by the floor.

the worst part of an inconsistent floor like that is, those uneven floor boards may shift changing high and low spots once you get all that water weight on it.

another option is to use something like rubber stall mat under the tank stand to remove the inconsistencies, but that will make shimming harder/next to impossible because the stall mat will compress.

No weight in actual stand. All sump equipment will be below. I am reinforcing the floor from the garage below as well. I am nervous about the panels shifting or some sinking under load. I will water test the tank on the stand and make sure it stays level but who knows what time will do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No weight in actual stand. All sump equipment will be below. I am reinforcing the floor from the garage below as well. I am nervous about the panels shifting or some sinking under load. I will water test the tank on the stand and make sure it stays level but who knows what time will do.

Once you get it set up the first time I would fill the tank with tap water and let it sit for a few days, then assess the level again and make adjustments as necessary.

Once you get it set up the first time I would fill the tank with tap water and let it sit for a few days, then assess the level again and make adjustments as necessary.

That will be my plan.

What would be wrong with placing the stand on a big foam or rubber mat? Is that a no no?

What would be wrong with placing the stand on a big foam or rubber mat? Is that a no no?

I have plenty of foam but I think the concern is further compression over time.

That is why I mentioned stall mats, they are a hard rubber, setting something that heavy on them will allow for both shifting of the floor pieces inconsistencies, BUT you cant shim since they compress.

then no worries shim the entire perimeter, don't worry about the ribs underneath either they touch or they don't. and just brace your floor correctly, I think your over thinking it. 80% of the shifting will happen in the first 12 hours, the next 10% over the next year, the final 10% over the next 10 years roughly speaking.

then no worries shim the entire perimeter, don't worry about the ribs underneath either they touch or they don't. and just brace your floor correctly, I think your over thinking it. 80% of the shifting will happen in the first 12 hours, the next 10% over the next year, the final 10% over the next 10 years roughly speaking.

This is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you. I will now sleep.

You mentioned "All sump equipment will be below. I am reinforcing the floor from the garage below as well." Not a big fan of shimming, sounds like some weak construction to me I would recommend bracing from underneath floor joists and use of floor jacks to level the floor/tank as a long term solution, no headaches down the road.

You mentioned "All sump equipment will be below. I am reinforcing the floor from the garage below as well." Not a big fan of shimming, sounds like some weak construction to me I would recommend bracing from underneath floor joists and use of floor jacks to level the floor/tank as a long term solution, no headaches down the road.

Yeah I think it's more about the small thin wood panels used for flooring just not being perfectly even and certainly softer between the joist. It's a double floor so the joist are stacked on top of each other in a cross cross pattern...at least that is what the structural engineer told me.

Back