Please help with led lights

Kern6972

Hey guys, I had bought these new led lights. They are called Blue Reef 144w LEDs. They are not dimmable. They are commonly called the black Chinese boxes. Here are the details of them:

Item specifics
Item Type:
Grow Lights
Place of Origin:
China (Mainland)
is_customized:
Yes
Brand Name:
OEM
Length:
28 cm
Body Material:
Iron
Features:
Apollo-4 Led aquarium light
Width:
Light Source:
LED Bulbs
Warranty:
2 years
Wattage:
Certification:
RoHS
Is Dimmable:
No
Voltage:
85-265V
Power Source:
AC
Model Number:
TH-144W-AP-4
Housing Color:
White
Led color:
Blue and white
White:Blue:
1:1
white Led color tempreture:
Blue Led wavelength:
460nm
Led quantity:
48pcs
Each Led power:
3w
Product Description
Specification
1.Input:AC85-264V
2.Power:144W(48x3W)
3.Led color:Blue 24pcs and white 24pcs,and the ratio&wavelength
can be changed according to customer's requirement
4.Blue Led wavelength:460nm
5.White Led color tempreture:12000K(if this is not the same as you
need,pls write down your data when place order)
6.There are 4 modules each Apollo-4 Led aquarium light,each module include 12pcs 3w hight power Leds
7.Lum:3840lm
8.Work frequency:50-60Hz
9.Life span:50000hours
10.Size:270*283*85mm
11.Working current:0.6-1.2A
12.PF>0.97
13.Beam angle>120degree

--------------------------------------

I have them hanging about 13" from the water on my 75g reef tank. They have been on my tank for about a month. A few corals are thriving, but my frogspawn is dying, I lost a brain on sand bed, my GPS are not opening. I also have glass tops on bc of my cats. Does the glass tops effect the LEDs?? I have lights on a timer and here is my light times:

Blues On: 11am
Whites On: 3pm
Whites Off: 7pm
Blues Off: 11pm

Are they getting too much light?? Not enough?? Any input would greatly be appreciated. Thank u

what did you have on the tank before LED. I bet its too much light, hard to say with out seeing the tank. If the tank looks a lot brighter then it did before the LED, then it kinda answered your own question. LOL I would raise the light up higher and hope its not to late.

what did you have on the tank before LED. I bet its too much light, hard to say with out seeing the tank. If the tank looks a lot brighter then it did before the LED, then it kinda answered your own question. LOL I would raise the light up higher and hope its not to late.

Thanks for the reply. I had a t5 HO light on before. The whites on that I ran for 10 hours, blues for 12 hours. Tank isn't really much brighter, just the blues are. And I still have glass tops on..do u think that is effecting the LEDs?? The heads on my frogspawn, the ones that are dead are bright white..and that is middle top of tank. But then the brain in sand bed died..so I don't knw which way to go with them..or if the tops are causing problems.

The glass tops if anything prevent some light from getting in. Unfortunately not being dimmable lights your corals are at the mercy of the lights. I just transitioned from T-5 and my par was max 250 and with my new LED's full blast the PAR is over 1300. This is for sure quite a shock for your corals.

I have a illumamagic on tank and I think that the light is burning my coral the light is about 300 mm from the water should I go higher with the light can envy one help

The glass tops if anything prevent some light from getting in. Unfortunately not being dimmable lights your corals are at the mercy of the lights. I just transitioned from T-5 and my par was max 250 and with my new LED's full blast the PAR is over 1300. This is for sure quite a shock for your corals.

Damn..that is insane. How much higher should I go up with them?? I need to figure this out before I lose anything else..3rd day GSP not opening :(

Really surprised no one knows anything about this. Thanks jvr for answering and ur .02
Just raised them, they r now 19" from water. I guess see what happens

I'd say they are not getting enough light. I run 2 maxspect razors and 1 250w metal halide on my 75 gal 9 inches

Get some black nylon window screen and put a few layers on the tank to block some of the light for a few days. See if that seems to help at all. As the coral get used to the added light you can remove the layers one at a time.

I raised them yesterday to 19.5" from water..my GSP finally started to open again. I think it was too much light for them. Will see how it goes over next week. Keep ya posted

Hey guys, I had bought these new led lights. They are called Blue Reef 144w LEDs. They are not dimmable. They are commonly called the black Chinese boxes. Here are the details of them:

Item specifics
Item Type:
Grow Lights
Place of Origin:
China (Mainland)
is_customized:
Yes
Brand Name:
OEM
Length:
28 cm
Body Material:
Iron
Features:
Apollo-4 Led aquarium light
Width:
Light Source:
LED Bulbs
Warranty:
2 years
Wattage:
Certification:
RoHS
Is Dimmable:
No
Voltage:
85-265V
Power Source:
AC
Model Number:
TH-144W-AP-4
Housing Color:
White
Led color:
Blue and white
White:Blue:
1:1
white Led color tempreture:
Blue Led wavelength:
460nm
Led quantity:
48pcs
Each Led power:
3w
Product Description
Specification
1.Input:AC85-264V
2.Power:144W(48x3W)
3.Led color:Blue 24pcs and white 24pcs,and the ratio&wavelength
can be changed according to customer's requirement
4.Blue Led wavelength:460nm
5.White Led color tempreture:12000K(if this is not the same as you
need,pls write down your data when place order)
6.There are 4 modules each Apollo-4 Led aquarium light,each module include 12pcs 3w hight power Leds
7.Lum:3840lm
8.Work frequency:50-60Hz
9.Life span:50000hours
10.Size:270*283*85mm
11.Working current:0.6-1.2A
12.PF>0.97
13.Beam angle>120degree

--------------------------------------

I have them hanging about 13" from the water on my 75g reef tank. They have been on my tank for about a month. A few corals are thriving, but my frogspawn is dying, I lost a brain on sand bed, my GPS are not opening. I also have glass tops on bc of my cats. Does the glass tops effect the LEDs?? I have lights on a timer and here is my light times:

Blues On: 11am
Whites On: 3pm
Whites Off: 7pm
Blues Off: 11pm

Are they getting too much light?? Not enough?? Any input would greatly be appreciated. Thank u

LED's are very different from MH and T5.

Both MH and T5 are full spectrum (Except Atinic Bulbs). They cover, UV, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red, and sometimes Far Red.

LED's are not unless you set them up that way. Your current setup has 460nm blue which covers 440 to 480nm with a strong peak of 460nm. 12000k white has a strong blue peak of 450nm with a fairly strong secondary green peak, some yellow, and almost no orange and red. Your setup is missing almost half the spectrum including UV.

I would first run your whites longer. Also look at adding some neutral and warm whites. I would add UV 420, and 400nm.
Some people like adding green, cyan, yellow, red, and far red.

My lights have
400nm UV
420nm UV
450nm Blue
460nm Blue
480nm Blue
590nm Yellow
630nm Red
660nm Hyper Red
20000k White (strong blue, good green, some yellow almost no orange and red)
12000k White (good blue, strong green, more yellow, some orange, little red)
6500k White (good blue, decent green, strong yellow, strong orange, decent red)
3500k White (some blue, some green, good yellow, strong orange, strong red)

Here is a good link comparing different LED units to MH and their spectrum output.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/3/aafeature

Last edited:
start the lights higher and for shorter duration, and gradually, depending on depth of your tank, water quality, and most importantly- inhabitants, lower them and run them at longer duration.

you can also get DIY dimmers for almost any China light if you're handy.

good luck.

Back