Please help with this brain id???

Can you get a photo of it closed up? It looks a lot like a Lobophyllia or Symphyllia, but tough to tell with it being as open as it is.

Just trying to figure out how to actually show the photos in post.

IM000207.jpg

Well, to make a good ID, you actually need to see exposed skeleton. But, from the pics youve got here, Im willing to bet Lobophyllia. Symphyllia is still a possibility, but honestly, whichever genus it turns out to be, the care is very similar, and both are normally quite hardy. Yours is clearly doing well, so whatever youve been doing- keep it up.

Thankfully I don't have any exposed skeleton to photo:) Thank you very much for your help and response.

Any particular reason that it doesn't look like any Lobophyllia photos or any other brains that I have seen?

Last edited:
Hmm.. not sure why that would be. Honestly, it looks like a pretty classic Lobophyllia hemprichii, although the photos you have posted are all with it showing a feeding response, which does make it look a bit different than they usually do. Here are a few others of what I believe are the same type- the first is one in my tank, the others were found online (the color you have is a less common variant).

PinkLobophyllia.jpg

Lobo1.jpg

lobo3.jpg

lobo2.jpg

Ahhhhh, that is more like it. Most of the ones I have seen look like your middle two pictures. I have never seen mine quite so "rolled". It always has the flat "sharp" edges like the first and last. Is that a result of it needing food or just its general preference?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9855274#post9855274 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fighton03
Is that a result of it needing food or just its general preference?

Its just a sign that it is trying to feed. If your lighting is sufficient then you dont Have to provide extra food, but it will inflate much nicer and grow a bit quicker if you do. I feed mine pretty much every night, just because I have several Tubastrea and Duncanopsammia around it that Im feeding anyhow, so it gets an extra shot. I normally suggest 2-3 times per week with a medium sized meaty food (I use mysis a lot, once in a while some chopped Krill if there is leftover from the angelfish).

Haha.. wish I did. Ive had mine for several years, and its the slowest growing one Ive ever seen. I feed it probably twice a week, and while each individual polyp swells up to a nice size, it virtually never divides... stupid coral.. lol

that is encouraging....Mine has gone from 2 to 4 VERY slowly in about 4 years!!!! At least they are healthy plump and happy!

Back