Plumbing Overflow Drains

mginster

I am setting my 120 up again and want to rethink my drains. I had to move my sump a little so one side is all rigid tubing and I believe this is causing the bulkhead to not align perfectly. I believe I should try flexible tubing for this side.

Given the entire rigid connection, I feel this will never align perfectly and will also not absorb any vibrations and the extra stress can possibly damage the glass.

In my lovely 2nd photo, I diagrammed what I think needs to be done. I want a union for easy maintenance and a valve to adjust overflow levels. Past the valve I dont know what to use. What flexible tubing will connect to 1" PVC with no loss in diameter? What is the connection to also avoid any loss in diameter? I have heard of some using a silicon connection between the bulkhead and PVC to reduce vibration, what is this?

You can see the other overflow does use the slightly flexible PVC, but this still adds stress due to the length and weight. It also is not flexible enough for the short run I need to make below the valve to sump.

Or is what I have good? I do have some leaks between the bulkhead, but will be getting silicon to put between the gasket and bulkhead.

Attachments

• IMG-4703.jpg
    IMG-4703.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG-4704.jpg
    IMG-4704.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
The flexible PVC is called spaflex and the diameters are the same as solid PVC. You could go top to bottom with spaflex and a union ball valve.

white-pvc-true-union-ball-valves.jpg

Have you considered using a flexible PVC hose? Flexible tubing could be the way for you as it's known to absorb vibrations and reduce stress. They are available in different diameters, so you can find one that matches your 1"" PVC with no loss in diameter.
As for the connection, you could use a barbed fitting and secure it with hose clamps. I've also heard of people using silicone connections between the bulkhead and PVC to reduce vibration.
If you're still unsure, why don't you reach out to the experts at Maida Plumbing Solutions? They might have some more tailored advice for you. You can find more info on their website at maida.com.au.
Best of luck!

Last edited:
I used pool hose with the cuff on the end & a clamp. Cut it to any length you need.
Take a piece of pvc with you to get the right hose.
Don't use silicone clean the surface where the gasket plus the gasket surfaces & reset.

Flex PVC is not so flexible on short runs for anything over 1" in diameter... it also bends in one direction... Plan accordingly.

You can heat it (not enough to give off fumes please) and hold it in place while it cools down. It will help, but it will also eventually want to return to its original shape.

I've been down the drain troubleshooting road too, and it can get tricky! Your diagram looks like a solid plan for improving your plumbing setup. Using flexible tubing for the section that needs adjustment and vibration absorption sounds like a smart move. As for the connection between the bulkhead and PVC, using silicone can indeed help reduce vibration and provide a better seal. If you're dealing with leaks, a drain camera inspection could be a game-changer. I've had success using services like the one at Sewer & Drain Camera pipe Inspections and Investigations to identify and address hidden issues.

Last edited:
Please don't use silicone on your bulkhead. It will lubricate the gasket and actually make it more likely that you will over-tighten and deform the gasket. The bulkhead, gasket, etc.need to be dry when you tighten. I second using pool hose after the valve; spa-flex is cumbersome.

Back