Plumbing Return Line to push water from behind the reef wall

KHahnOkc

I am setting up a new 260 tank, 72x30x30, that will be visible from 2 different rooms. It will have a 36"x4" center overflow that the reef will surround In the middle.

I am thinking of running 1 or 2 of my 600 GPH return lines to PUSH water from behind the live rock from many points. My thought is that this would help keep detritus out of the rock and I can have 1 return come from my rubble pit in the sump where I am raising pods. This would push the pods into the rock vs the open water column as well. I will be using variable speed DC pumps so that I can slow down the pumps when feeding and speed them up to simulate storm conditions to flush the reef.

I would like to know if anyone else has done this, know of articles on the topic, or has any advice. Since this is a fresh build, I have the opportunity to do just about anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

with only 600gph, I would not waste the time or money. You will need 2-4 mp40qd's for flow or equal/similar. You will want a minimum of 2 pumps at 2000gph or more. So 4000 gpm or more as a minimum for said tank.

I have a 215 72X 30X 24 and have 2 and its barely enough on reef crest mode. Perfect for LPS. Not really enough for SPS

I am setting up a new 260 tank, 72x30x30, that will be visible from 2 different rooms. It will have a 36"x4" center overflow that the reef will surround In the middle...

Is that tank built yet?

30" depth is great - 13" depth right in the center of the tank is going to be not so great. IMO. YMMV.

I wouldn't put your returns anywhere other than at or near the surface. In a power outage or pump failure, you'd be relying on a check valve to keep your DT from siphoning out. Do not rely on check valves!

I wouldn't put your returns anywhere other than at or near the surface. In a power outage or pump failure, you'd be relying on a check valve to keep your DT from siphoning out. Do not rely on check valves!

I use a siphon Break on all returns. Check valves are unreliable and the only way to break a siphon for sure is with air.

For the lighting, I am going to use 6 radion xr15 or kessil 360s because of the width and depth. Will supplement with 2 t5s on front and back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back