PLumbing ?

green814

I am going to use black tubing for my return since I can make a sweep over the top of the tank (not drilled) & the into pvc inside the tank. If I do this, should I drill a small hole in the tubing just under the water like you would w/ pvc fro a siphon break? Or should the pvc come over the top so I can drill that?

Also, should you drill a siphon break on a c.l. system as well for the "just in case"?
Thank you,
Chris

I am not sure I understand the first part. :(

As for the closed loop... NO! A closed loop by defination is closed, so you definately do not want to add a hole. If the pump stops, water flow stops and there is no risk. Basically as long as the loop is closed, there is no where for the water to go, so it will just stay in the system and keep the loop primed.

I was going to curve the tubing over the top of the tank & have a barbed fitting going into pvc inside the tank against the back wall. I am not sure if I will use a spraybar or just a couple outlets on the return, I just thought I could make the flow "smoother" by curving the tubing over the back of the tank as to using 1" pvc 90's over the back. I could use 1.5" pvc over the back & take it back down to 1" inside the tank I guess. I just can't find long sweep 90's for 1" pvc.( I don't think they make it)
I didn't think I should for the C.L., but thought what if I have a leak for some unknown reason.
Thank you,
Chris

You could always us 1 inch 45's to go over the top if you have the space.

A syphon break will not help you on a closed loop assuming the intake is low in the tank. It will keep dripping until the water level gets to the intake height. Just make sure it doesn't leak. :)

Back