Plywood Tank

Zack33

hello all,
I'm looking at possibly building a large plywood tank.
The tank i'm hoping would be roughly 250G
I would want the tank to be 48" long by 36-40"wide by 24" high.
So to my question....How would i go around building this, what do I need, is it truly cheaper then a glass/arcylic tank????

If anyone could help me out that would be just fantastic thanks.
Zack

This size would not be cost effective. I am looking into the same thing and if you aren't going 500+ it really isn't worth it. You can buy a glass cages 300 with starphire for less than 1200 bucks. If you want something huge tehn plywood is cost effective, but a 250 wouldn't be. I have researched my but on this.

A plywood tank is cost effective at almost any size, assuming you want something special.

For example, if you want a 48x36x24 with internal overflow, go with one of the new Marineland deep dimension tanks. However, if you really want a 48x40x24 with an external overflow, it will be cheaper to build. Generally, if you want a tank that is a "standard" size with "standard" features, and can get it from a mass manufacturer like All-Glass, Oceanic, Marineland, etc. it will be cheaper to buy. Going custom makes the price increase rapidly!

I would determine what you really want first. Then go price it with at least a couple of tank manufacturers. Then, using some of the builds on here, estimate the cost of doing it yourself.

I'm in the process of building a 650 gallon plywood tank. Not including the tools I needed, (such as clamps and a biscuit joiner)
I've got about $1000 into it. The majority of that was the epoxy.
I figure after I get the glass, the total will be somewhere around $2000.
I don't think I could touch a used 650 for 2 grand!

okay thank you for the responses, i will post in this thread again later this week/next week with a more detailed explaination of what i would like to have

Thanks again
Zack

Hey everyone, so here is a more detailed description of what i want,

lenght 48"
width 36"
height 21"

i would like to have a external overflow along the back, a 16 hole close loop, 3 returns from the sump, so 19 holes in total, i want the front to be view able. So here is my question what do i need to do this, and is it really going to be cheaper than having one made from glass?

Zack

You may also run into some issues with that number of holes. I dont know for sure, but some tank manufacturers may say no to that. I would recommend fewer, but perhaps larger holes with split returns to direct the flow.

The only way to know for sure which is the cheapest route is to price it out. Look for a couple of reputable tank manufacturers and get quotes. Then price out the materials to do it yourself. Also, be honest with yourself about your DIY skills. Building the tank will likely be more involved than you think. At the least, it will require space and time....and only you will know if you have those things...and are willing to give them up to save some money.

Off the hip estimate, building it yourself, that tank would be 1/2 to 3/4 the cost of having it made by a good quality custom tank manufacturer. IE, you could save 25-50% doing it yourself. A lot will depend on the exact materials you use!

okay thank you for the reply my DIY skills myself are good, but because i'm 15 i will more then likely be having my dad build the tank for me (he's a carpenter), i got a qoute from a company here in canada and they told it would cost roughly 1400 dollars i'm sure i could build it cheaper.

Zack

Back