Pom Pom crabs

ARTindall

So I have 2 cc starfish, and i know they are notorious for eating other inverts and occasionly fish. I originally wanted to get a sea cucumber but i am scared they will try and eat him. It was suggested to me by my Lfs to try getting a pompom crab which is another slightly unusual thing to have in an aquarium (Which is what i am trying to put in my aquarium, I also have two morph clownfish). The problem though is I want something my cc’s will leave alone for the most part. I have no corals or any other inverts at the moment. I also would want to know if a Pom Pom can even be in a fish only aquarium with no anemone to replace “poms” if needed.

If you have any other suggestions for things that will cohabitate with my starfish, please help!

It’s been many years since I thought about Chocolate Chip Stars but, if memory serves, they only harm sessile inverts. So, I think the Pom Pom crab should be fine.

As far as the anemones for the crab, it should be fine without.

I have to agree with @griss …the “Pom poms” are likely more about camouflage than anything. I think of them in the same way as decorator crabs. As for the starfish, it’s highly unlikely that they’ll ever eat a living crab. I’d be more worried about the fish in the tank eating your crab than the star

Back