Pom Pom Gracilaria from Aquabarn turning white 😔

IMAGNDAT

So I recently purchased some Pom Pom Gracilaria from aquabarn, it was beautiful nice red. today I noticed its turning white like if it's bleached 😔, my tank is freshly new, and currently just have cerith snails, and 2 clown fishes. In my refugium I'm using the 18w chaetomax light and have some chaeto and Clean Sea Lettuce also from aquabarn, those macro algae are doing fine, but the Gracilaria. Is it possible the light is too much for it and causing it to die off?

It sounds like you may have more plants than nutrients to feed them. Try feeding your fish a little more food than you normally do. The sea lettuce and chaeto you have are both fast growers, and the pom pom is slower. So they may be outcompeting it. If it dies, don't remove it. It may pop up again later, when conditions are better for it. That happened to me, and the plant that popped up was naturally attached and beautiful.

It sounds like you may have more plants than nutrients to feed them. Try feeding your fish a little more food than you normally do. The sea lettuce and chaeto you have are both fast growers, and the pom pom is slower. So they may be outcompeting it. If it dies, don't remove it. It may pop up again later, when conditions are better for it. That happened to me, and the plant that popped up was naturally attached and beautiful.

Got some zoanthids and shrooms coming in this week, hopefully gets more nitrates in the tank I guess.

If anything, those will remove nitrate with growth....

Is it completely pale? If not, it still has a chance. It’s possible it’s getting too much light, I would move it to a lower spot and add some nitrates with Spectracide stump remover from Home Depot.

update, I guess after some white scare, it seems to have stopped, it's not completely dead and it's still trucking, going up against the chaeto that's growing bigger it seems fast lol.

Back