Pork puffer

derick75

Hi guys I have a few questions for you. I have a beautiful 75 gallon SPS tank. It has been setup for about 2 years. I am now at the point in this hobby where I want to try something differnet. I am going backwards sort of I want to go from a reef to a FOWLR.

Questions is all I want is a pork puffer I have heard many different answers as to the min tank size. Will my 75 gallon be big enough? I have a BM 200 skimmer which is way overkill for my 75 but I wanted to have some lee way if I upgrade in the future.

Also My water quality is excellent, If i go with just the puffer, can I ditch the kalk and just use RO/DI for evaporation. For my reef my salinity is 1.025 can I just go with 1.023? and use Instant Ocean?

The FOWLR seems so much easier then my reef now.. Another thing I went to my LFS and they said they would give me 150.00 credit for 34 accropora SPS thats less then 5.00 each. And the smallest SPS is about 3 inches!! They sell their frags for $ 25-50.00 they are so cheap!!! I think I spent well over $1,000.00 for all my SPS and they will give me 150 dollar credit.. Sorry had to rant about that

75 is good for now, get a baby and let him grow, many will say this is too small but its fine for a while. ditch the kalk, salinity is fine from1.020-1.025, instant ocean is fine, if you have a lot of live rock you can take some out to give him more swimming room

i think a 75 is fine for a couple years as i have a pork in my 75 at the moment and has been in there for a year. I know i will have to upgrade and i am planning that too, I might have to give up the 75 or the 29 but I know it is for the best. Probably get a 180 or 200. HTH

lionfishfanatic, how much has he grown in the year youve had him? mines grown 2.5 inches in 2 years, but he's in a 50g

thanks for the help guys, any of you feed them by hand? I read if you get them small you can "train" them to eat from your hand. Not sure if I really want to do that

will eventually bite your finger

75 too small

6ft long by 24 wide at least, regardless of what less experienced folks may tell you

Back