Potential Fish List - Your help in evaluating please?

SereneAquatic

We are still far from the point of adding fish to our tank, maybe at least a month or so, but we are trying to get a list of compatible fish together, and the order that we should introduce them. I've listed our possibilities so far below, in the order we would introduce them, and the information I have about them already"¦ but the online stores that sell them don't always tell the full story. I suppose it isn't in their best interest to discourage buying.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about how these fish may do together?

"¢ We have the Red Sea Reefer 425 XL Deluxe tank (88 gallon display)
"¢ We'll be adding them slowly and make sure the tank and filtering can support the bio load with each addition.
"¢ Each fish will be quarantined for 3-4 weeks prior to placing in the tank.
"¢ Protein skimmer and water changes will be the primary nutrient management initially
"¢ We are considering adding a refugium with chaeto, but the sump on these tanks isn't designed with a specific place for refugium. We may be able to modify it.

Your help is appreciated on evaluating compatibility!

1. Two or Three Firefish Goby - Notes say these fish may burrow in sand, but I haven't seen any videos or posts about that kind of behavior. Can anyone verify? I'm counting them as an "˜open water' fish currently. May be prone to jumping. A cover may be necessary since a few of our fish are on this jumpers list.

2. One Yellowhead Jawfish - Need rocks to burrow under, may be bullied by other burrowing fish and can be prone to jumping. Hides most of the time, usually feeds near burrow. Can require special care for feeding and acclimating to tank so we want to introduce him early to give him the attention he needs. He's one of my favorites that will go in the tank.

3. Nassarius Snail (QTY unknown) - Can burrow into sand, here to help as part of the clean up crew.

4. Peppermint Shrimp (QTY unknown) "“ Good for eliminate Aiptasia. Great addition to cleanup crew.

5. One Pearl Scale Butterfly - May eat corals. Picky eater at first, may require special attention, which we can give since he'll be one of the only fish in the tank so far. Peaceful, introduce early. Hoping if he gets used to eating fish food provided, he won't graze the corals as long as he stays well fed? One of the favorites.

6. One Lawnmower Blenny - Love algae feeding, can get up to 5.5 inches. Can JUMP from the tank. Probably my other favorite fish on this list.

7. One Sally Lightfoot Crab - Easy, active, good addition"¦ may be the best crab option if we have to choose between the three listed?

8. One Emerald Crab - May eat corals, etc. Reef/Coral safe with caution. Keep them fed so they don't go after tank mates. Great cleanup addition, will eat bubble algae. May be OK until/unless we start including corals?

9. One Arrow Crab "“ By far the riskiest crab of the 3. Can be aggressive. Will eat bristle worms. Can eat small fish if not properly fed. Can grow up to 6 INCHES! May attack banded coral shrimp and other crustaceans. (Does this mean either of the other crabs/shrimp I've listed? Is it possible to buy or have smaller "˜feeder' shrimp that he may eat, instead of the others?) Do not keep with similar species. Depending on feedback, this one may come off the list entirely. I think they are cool, but he may be better off in his own smaller tank with a few friends he can live with.

10. One Yellow Tang - Aggressive toward other tangs. Needs lots of seaweed and algae. Aggressive algae eater.

11. One Fire Shrimp - Will remove necrotic tissue and parasites from fish, often in symbiotic relationships. Need hiding spaces. May swim openly.

12. One Flame Angel - May eat corals. Shouldn't eat invertebrates. (Maybe we're not destined to have corals lol) Some posts say these fish can be aggressive, other times they do fine. Is this a fish-by-fish personality thing? Some other factors going on?

13. One Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse - Needs a shaded area away from bright lights. Like to JUMP. Can get up to 5". Not much information on personality"¦

14. One Axilspot Hogfish "“ Not much information on this fish. Can reach UP TO 8 INCHES!?

15. One Lemon Chromis - Will probably eat corals"¦ again, my fish don't seem compatible with them so far.

16. One Domino Damsel - Hardy, can survive harsh conditions. Sometimes territorial, introduce near the end?

These are probably eliminated from the list already due to conflicts unless some others come off the list.

17. Coral Banded Shrimp - Sensitive to water quality. Eat bristle worms and flat worms. Also 'boxing' shrimp, hit with claws. Only keep ONE at a time.

18. Sand Sifting Sea Star - Supplement with trace elements. NOT COMPATIBLE w/ puffer fish (maybe get a bigger star, smaller puffer?). Will probably eat shrimp. Keep well fed or it will burrow in the sand and die. Can grow up to 12"!

19. Puffer Fish (porcupine?) - 180 GALLON TANK?? Will eat shrimp/crabs. May be possible to house a small one temporarily and have a plan for him to go to a new home when he gets bigger. Probably too aggressive toward the crustaceans to be in this tank. I like crabs and shrimp.

20. Flame Hawkfish - Bottom dweller, may bother gobies/blennies"¦ maybe add when they are bigger?

WEEWOOWEEWOO.

Only because I know already from my own tank, its commonly thought a Yellow Tang fares best in a 5 foot wide tank to allow them more swimming room. :p

I was looking at a Powder Brown Tang or a Kole's Tang for my 4 foot wide tank.

Otherwise, I like the list! :thumbsup:

We are still far from the point of adding fish to our tank, maybe at least a month or so, but we are trying to get a list of compatible fish together, and the order that we should introduce them. I've listed our possibilities so far below, in the order we would introduce them, and the information I have about them already"¦ but the online stores that sell them don't always tell the full story. I suppose it isn't in their best interest to discourage buying.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about how these fish may do together?

"¢ We have the Red Sea Reefer 425 XL Deluxe tank (88 gallon display)
"¢ We'll be adding them slowly and make sure the tank and filtering can support the bio load with each addition.
"¢ Each fish will be quarantined for 3-4 weeks prior to placing in the tank.
"¢ Protein skimmer and water changes will be the primary nutrient management initially
"¢ We are considering adding a refugium with chaeto, but the sump on these tanks isn't designed with a specific place for refugium. We may be able to modify it.

Your help is appreciated on evaluating compatibility!

1. Two or Three Firefish Goby - Notes say these fish may burrow in sand, but I haven't seen any videos or posts about that kind of behavior. Can anyone verify? I'm counting them as an "˜open water' fish currently. May be prone to jumping. A cover may be necessary since a few of our fish are on this jumpers list.

2. One Yellowhead Jawfish - Need rocks to burrow under, may be bullied by other burrowing fish and can be prone to jumping. Hides most of the time, usually feeds near burrow. Can require special care for feeding and acclimating to tank so we want to introduce him early to give him the attention he needs. He's one of my favorites that will go in the tank.

3. Nassarius Snail (QTY unknown) - Can burrow into sand, here to help as part of the clean up crew.

4. Peppermint Shrimp (QTY unknown) "“ Good for eliminate Aiptasia. Great addition to cleanup crew.

5. One Pearl Scale Butterfly - May eat corals. Picky eater at first, may require special attention, which we can give since he'll be one of the only fish in the tank so far. Peaceful, introduce early. Hoping if he gets used to eating fish food provided, he won't graze the corals as long as he stays well fed? One of the favorites.It will eat corals whether it is well fed or not

6. One Lawnmower Blenny - Love algae feeding, can get up to 5.5 inches. Can JUMP from the tank. Probably my other favorite fish on this list.

7. One Sally Lightfoot Crab - Easy, active, good addition"¦ may be the best crab option if we have to choose between the three listed?

8. One Emerald Crab - May eat corals, etc. Reef/Coral safe with caution. Keep them fed so they don't go after tank mates. Great cleanup addition, will eat bubble algae. May be OK until/unless we start including corals?Keeping one fed is easier said then done. Spot feeding them really isn't a option due to their coordination/ eye sight

9. One Arrow Crab "“ By far the riskiest crab of the 3. Can be aggressive. Will eat bristle worms. Can eat small fish if not properly fed. Can grow up to 6 INCHES! May attack banded coral shrimp and other crustaceans. (Does this mean either of the other crabs/shrimp I've listed? Is it possible to buy or have smaller "˜feeder' shrimp that he may eat, instead of the others?) Do not keep with similar species. Depending on feedback, this one may come off the list entirely. I think they are cool, but he may be better off in his own smaller tank with a few friends he can live with.I would avoid one with small(er) fish

10. One Yellow Tang - Aggressive toward other tangs. Needs lots of seaweed and algae. Aggressive algae eater.88g isn't large enough for a Yellow tang and it doesn't sound like the tank is 6ft in length either?

11. One Fire Shrimp - Will remove necrotic tissue and parasites from fish, often in symbiotic relationships. Need hiding spaces. May swim openly.

12. One Flame Angel - May eat corals. Shouldn't eat invertebrates. (Maybe we're not destined to have corals lol) Some posts say these fish can be aggressive, other times they do fine. Is this a fish-by-fish personality thing? Some other factors going on?Can get aggressive like most all other dwarf angels, 50/50 chance it picks on coral

13. One Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse - Needs a shaded area away from bright lights. Like to JUMP. Can get up to 5". Not much information on personality"¦

14. One Axilspot Hogfish "“ Not much information on this fish. Can reach UP TO 8 INCHES!? Don't get this fish, especially in a 88g. Will eat anything it can fit into its mouth, fish or invert

15. One Lemon Chromis - Will probably eat corals"¦ again, my fish don't seem compatible with them so far.

16. One Domino Damsel - Hardy, can survive harsh conditions. Sometimes territorial, introduce near the end?

These are probably eliminated from the list already due to conflicts unless some others come off the list.

17. Coral Banded Shrimp - Sensitive to water quality. Eat bristle worms and flat worms. Also 'boxing' shrimp, hit with claws. Only keep ONE at a time. Can be a issue with smaller fish

18. Sand Sifting Sea Star - Supplement with trace elements. NOT COMPATIBLE w/ puffer fish (maybe get a bigger star, smaller puffer?). Will probably eat shrimp. Keep well fed or it will burrow in the sand and die. Can grow up to 12"!Best left in huge tanks, they all end up eating all the micro fauna out of the sand bed and waste away and die

19. Puffer Fish (porcupine?) - 180 GALLON TANK?? Will eat shrimp/crabs. May be possible to house a small one temporarily and have a plan for him to go to a new home when he gets bigger. Probably too aggressive toward the crustaceans to be in this tank. I like crabs and shrimp.Aggressive and will eat anything it can fit in its mouth fish or inverts

20. Flame Hawkfish - Bottom dweller, may bother gobies/blennies"¦ maybe add when they are bigger?

List looks good, I'm always nervous about butterflies because they are so finicky. The yellow tang should be fine in an 88 since it will be the only tang in the tank.

The flame angel are known coral nippers, they can also be territorial so if you get one be sure to make him one of the last fish.

Definitely nix the pufferfish, a porcy shouldn't be housed in anything smaller than a 180...200 or 220 would be better.

Flame Hawkfish although marked as semi-aggressive I feel are one of the best personable fish around, I used to have one years ago and he was awesome, didn't bother anyone in the tank and he was just like a hawk, perching on rocks and chilling. He was a tank too, virtually indestructible lol. If you decide to get one of these you won't be disappointed.

WEEWOOWEEWOO.

Only because I know already from my own tank, its commonly thought a Yellow Tang fares best in a 5 foot wide tank to allow them more swimming room. :p

I was looking at a Powder Brown Tang or a Kole's Tang for my 4 foot wide tank.

Otherwise, I like the list! :thumbsup:

Thank you. A lot of the fish in the tank have been chosen for their benefits to controlling algae and pests, and the tang is a big part of that. I want to start with a very small one. Are there any other tangs or fish in general that will be as aggressive at eating the algae?

You don't indicate whether you plan on keeping corals or not, that is important to know if we are going to give you good advice. Note that any livestock that "may" nip at corals almost certainly WILL nip at corals. Some may simply take an occasional nip, others will destroy corals; each individual specimen will act differently. Any species listed as likely to eat corals is nearly guaranteed to destroy corals, not just nip at them, so proceed accordingly.
As to advice beyond being reef safe here are a few observations:
Firefish need to be a mated pair or they will almost certainly fight, add only two and they must be of the same species, three will fight to the death of at least one.
Yellow Tang Your tank is not big enough for a Yellow Tang, it will be stressed and take out it's stress by picking on it's fellow tank mates. A Yellow Eyed Kole Tang would be a better choice for a Tang.
Flame Angel Beyond it's coral eating problems, my experience has been that they all seem to get overly aggressive if kept in too small of a tank. Even in a 120 gallon tank I have had to remove one for killing its tank mates. They usually are okay when small, but as they mature they tend to get more aggressive. In your tank it will almost certainly go rouge eventually.
Lemon Chromis and Domino Damsel Both are aggressive, the Lemon will be a little more compatible when small but again will get aggressive as it matures. The Domino Damsel is by far one of the most aggressive fish you could put in your tank, in addition to getting huge as they mature they also get ugly.

I would not advise you keeping any of the livestock on your "probably eliminated" list.

Thank you. A lot of the fish in the tank have been chosen for their benefits to controlling algae and pests, and the tang is a big part of that. I want to start with a very small one. Are there any other tangs or fish in general that will be as aggressive at eating the algae?

Kole's Eye Tang (Yellow or blue, I think) and Powder Brown tangs.

The way it was explained to me was any of the 'bristletoothed' tangs, but I'm new so I'm not entirely sure what that means!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946079

This is where I was pointed.

Lemon Chromis and Domino Damsel Both are aggressive, the Lemon will be a little more compatible when small but again will get aggressive as it matures. The Domino Damsel is by far one of the most aggressive fish you could put in your tank, in addition to getting huge as they mature they also get ugly.

I'm doing some more research on these two, thanks for the heads up.

I came across this video of two Dominos in a pretty large tank, they look like they are maybe mated pair? They start doing something to the rock around 1:45... what are they doing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI7OQ6aRwpw

You don't indicate whether you plan on keeping corals or not, that is important to know if we are going to give you good advice. Note that any livestock that "may" nip at corals almost certainly WILL nip at corals. Some may simply take an occasional nip, others will destroy corals; each individual specimen will act differently. Any species listed as likely to eat corals is nearly guaranteed to destroy corals, not just nip at them, so proceed accordingly.
As to advice beyond being reef safe here are a few observations:
Firefish need to be a mated pair or they will almost certainly fight, add only two and they must be of the same species, three will fight to the death of at least one.
Yellow Tang Your tank is not big enough for a Yellow Tang, it will be stressed and take out it's stress by picking on it's fellow tank mates. A Yellow Eyed Kole Tang would be a better choice for a Tang.
Flame Angel Beyond it's coral eating problems, my experience has been that they all seem to get overly aggressive if kept in too small of a tank. Even in a 120 gallon tank I have had to remove one for killing its tank mates. They usually are okay when small, but as they mature they tend to get more aggressive. In your tank it will almost certainly go rouge eventually.

I would not advise you keeping any of the livestock on your "probably eliminated" list.

I'm curious why you would advise against the flame hawkfish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back