Prevent Coraline from growing on tank side?

The more I think about my original question - for my tank - I am disgusted that I was planning to be too lazy to just scrub a 20 x 24" piece of acrylic once every couple of days.

Funny how this post moved so far away from the Reef Chemistry topic - I love it, lol!!!

Unfortunately it's not just being lazy. It's called Life gets in the way. In a perfect world we would all be able to keep are tank glass clean, but it doesn't happen. You can do your best 90% of the time but it's that other 10% that fills the bottom of the tank Glass with coralline. :headwallblue: Then you tell yourself after an hour of scraping you'll never let it get this bad again, but guess what happens three months later. (here we go again) :spin1:

Just a wild idea..if someone wants to try.
Insert a removable panel of a thin sheet of acrylic the size of the back wall of the tank. Place it inside the tank against the back wall. Remove and scrape it occasionally as part of routine maintenance. You don't have to worry about the sand particles scratching the tank. Also, it's much easier to clean the removable panel in the sink rather than leaning against the tank.

I like the idea of the removable panel, but in practice I don't know that it would work well. I can just imagine the small space between the tank wall and the removable panel to get nasty, and possibly even coralline growth. And if nasty algae, or whatever grows back there, than when you'd remove the pannel it would probably get lose in the tank.

Kind of recently someone posted on here looking into the market for a coating that could be put on tanks to prevent growth, and from the sounds of it he felt he was onto something and trying to get a feel for how much people would pay for it. Even if it does work out, I wouldn't expect it to be available for years though. It's unfortionat how slow it takes for some good products to become widely available.

for now I just contunialy scrap as part of my routine maintainance. Just another reason to mess with my tank

Back