Procedure for adding paired goby and shrimp?

apw63

I was wondering if the shrimp and goby should be QTed in the same tank. I know if they are QTed together that certain meds could not be administered.

How do reefers add the pair to their QT and then to their DTs?

I would really like to add a pair to my system.

Thank you for any help

Andy

I don't QT fish and inverts....only corals.
So if me, just acclimate and add to your tank.

Also at night or early morning and leave lights of for like 5+ hrs....

Wait, no. Please don't tell someone to NOT QT fish. If you want to take that risk ptreef, go right ahead. But, don't provide that as advice.

You don't have to QT inverts though. Temp acclimate and add the shrimp to your DT. You should just QT the fish.

i have quarantined fish and inverts together. i do not administer prophylactic medication.

if a fish quarantined with inverts were to start showing signs of disease like ich, i would set up another small hospital tank for it to be treated in separate from the inverts, and allow my main QT to go fallow with the inverts in it for several months.

this way i don't need to nuke any of the inverts in the main QT and can only keep one QT tank running at a time, setting up the second as needed.

small tanks are cheap. :)

You don't have to QT inverts though. Temp acclimate and add the shrimp to your DT. You should just QT the fish.

in my opinion quarantining everything, corals and other inverts included, is the best policy. QT is cheap and an easy protocol that can help mitigate the risk of destroying all your hard work.

Wait, no. Please don't tell someone to NOT QT fish. If you want to take that risk ptreef, go right ahead. But, don't provide that as advice.

Inverts can carry ich.

Been doing it for 10+ yrs and never had an issue. When ordering healthy specemines online, QT furthur induces more stress. Research around it is NOT necassary for fish. It is one of those things many do and many do not do.

But if you feel need to QT go ahead and QT as mentioned above.

Been doing it for 10+ yrs and never had an issue. When ordering healthy specemines online, QT furthur induces more stress. Research around it is NOT necassary for fish. It is one of those things many do and many do not do.

But if you feel need to QT go ahead and QT as mentioned above.

this is wrong, and false info.

its like saying I have been driving double the speed limit for years, there is nothing wrong with it, some do it, some dont. [its wrong to advice new drivers to do double the speed]

Ok. I agree with Mondo. QT everything just in case.

@ptreef: That may be your experience, but you may get that one fish that carries Ich or some other disease. There goes all of that 10+ years of experience in that nice tank you had.

Ok, so why are u QT' ....ich?

ich is one of the diseases you can introduce, and actually the simplest one ! there are alot of other diseases and bacteria infections that you do not wnat to introduce to your system.

when system is younge with 3 fish, u dont care much, but once you have some fish in there that u really care for, either financially or ..... then you would really be sad if you put in a fish and it killed everything else withing 20 hours, it can happend.

I have plenty that showed ich after introduction. They recovered after a week or so of well feeding.

Ok, carry one....the thread is about how to add these two above guys together.....

I have plenty that showed ich after introduction. They recovered after a week or so of well feeding.

Ok, carry one....the thread is about how to add these two above guys together.....

again ... u can say I slept with someone with aids, and didnt get it, sure miracles do happen. but would you advice ppl to be with ppl that do have aids, and just bet against the odds ?

And back to the original OP. Just QT both. You can go with no meds for observation or dose with prazipro. QT for 6 weeks with no signs of diseases, then add to DT.

I added the pistol to the tank a few weeks before the goby (I dont QT inverts) and they paired up almost immediately. From what I have seen you do not need to add them together for them to form a relationship. So if you wanted to QT both at the same time or one after the other it should be fine.

Thanks for all the info, opinions and discussion. I have been QTing new fish but not inverts. I think I will QT them together. QT is 10 gal with some misc PVC pipe fittings. Would I need anything special in QT for shrimp. I tend to fall on the side of better safe than sorry.

I added the pistol to the tank a few weeks before the goby (I dont QT inverts) and they paired up almost immediately. From what I have seen you do not need to add them together for them to form a relationship. So if you wanted to QT both at the same time or one after the other it should be fine.

I plan on buying a paired set. Once they are paired, they will repair after being separated for say 6 weeks?

Thanks

Andy

Obviously there is never guarantees when it comes to behavior but yes they should just pair back up. Also, they have an opportunistic symbiosis so there is no need to worry about establishing dominance as in a mating relationship.

Back