Protein skimmer making a weird noise

djryan2000

From my previous post - a plastic piece that the airline connects to broke off my skimmer. I glued it back on with several layers of superglue.

b04077ca1e5a8aaa26799e8e45503dca.jpg

I put the skimmer back on and this is the noise

https://youtu.be/xSr6HO-wp64

I took off the plastic air intake piece so it's just the tube (attached photo for clarity) and the sound isn't *** loud and sounds more like water gurgling at the other end of the tube (presumably it entering the pump).

11f4df3bb4cf34820f2bafa7dd32de8d.jpg

Any idea what's going on? I've had it on ~16 hours and the collection cup isn't getting anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The piece in your hand (in the pic) is for noise reduction. Is the impeller turning/making bubbles in the main chamber? It can days for a new skimmer to break in and start producing skimmate.

Protein skimmer making a weird noise

The piece in your hand (in the pic) is for noise reduction. Is the impeller turning/making bubbles in the main chamber? It can days for a new skimmer to break in and start producing skimmate.

I know the piece is for noise reduction -however, the skimmer is more quiet without it

For some background - It's not a new skimmer. I've been using it for months - but I accidentally broke off the piece the airline attaches to a week ago. I glued it and started running it yesterday and it is now making the weird noise and not producing any skimmate.

It appears to be making bubbles and functioning like usual when I look inside the body - here's a video

https://youtu.be/66yXgdlnivE

Last edited:
Based on your video, from the noise I heard, there's a dog stuck in the skimmer. Let him out. ;)

Sorry, don't have any useful feedback at this point. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable can chime in. Have you tired contacting the manufacturer?

Based on your video, from the noise I heard, there's a dog stuck in the skimmer. Let him out. ;)

Sorry, don't have any useful feedback at this point. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable can chime in. Have you tired contacting the manufacturer?

I tried contacting the manufacturer a couple weeks ago and no reply still. Looks like I have to send another email.

But for now, I'll have to figure out how to rescue the dog :p

Back