pump for octopus

sly fox

Premium Member
does anyone know the recommended flow rate for a pump feeding an external octopus dnw 110?
thanks

I think th OP is referring to the seperate feed pump that supplies tank water to th eskimmer.

What size tank is this going on? THe recommended flowthrough is 1.5-2 times you system volume per hour through the skimmer....However, If this is for you 125g system in your sig line the 110 is too small a skimmer!

thanks its for a 25g with 20g sump (really 10g of water in there) so 35g

52.5- 70 gph in that case... thanks, never used a pump that small, any suggestions?

Personally, I gravity feed my DNW110 directly from the overflow. If that is not an option, look at the microjet pumps...they are the same mfr as the maxijet, just really low flow.

thanks, i was worried about the water level fluctuating in the skimmer if i gravity fed.. wasnt it a problem for you?

No problem here....I run a HOB overflow that has 2 1" standpipes on it...1 standpipe is free flowing to the sump, the other standpipe runs to the skimmer with a valve to control flow. the water level above the standpipe that goes to the skimmer is at a constant level so the flow is constant.

Back