Pump Question

Schmit

Premium Member
Ok, I'm in the process of setting up a sump for my 75 Gal. Just picked up a Little Giant 4-MDQX-SC. Anyone have any experience with these pumps?

Also, what is a good system to quite the vibration of the pump? I was told a wood base over a styrofoam sheet. I'm thinking a wood base with 6 "Legs" (one on each corner and two in the middle at the edges) of closed cell foam (kind of like what you wrap up water pipes with so they don't freeze. Each leg about 2" - 2.5" long. These legs would sit in (and be glued into) recesses ( .5") (both on the base and what it is sitting on). Thoughs?

To me that seems like too much trouble to go to. I would say if you want a wood base, put that pipe insulation around the edges using the slit provided. The insulation may already have glue on the slit edges that you can stick to the wood as well, which will keep it in place.

Equally important to reduce noise is to use some spaflex in place of hard PVC at the intake and output of the pump. This will greatly reduce vibration being transmitted to the rest of the system. The more spaflex the better IMO. I used nearly all spaflex in my under-tank plumbing with no problems at all.

You can also get some really nice rubber pad material from skycraft surplus for cheap. It is black, about 1/2" thick, and very soft. This is what my pumps are sitting on. One side of the rubber pad is sticky if you pull the backing off.

Spaflex sounds like a good idea... I never thought about the vibrations being transmitted through the pipes but it makes sence.

Thanks.

Sorbathane works great if you can find it. I put my ampmaster on a piece of wood and then sandwiched sorbathane disc about 1.25" thick between that board and another piece of wood. By putting screws through the wood you can get rid of the resonance. I can take a picture if this doesn't make sense.

Back