Pump recommendation for a 20 micron sediment filter

enb141

Hi, I'm interesting in building a 20 or 50 micron sediment filter (used as polishing) for my tank but I have a problem, I can't find anywhere what kind of pump should be fine, I was thinking to use a Sicce Syncra 1.0 or a Current USA eFLUX DC Flow Pump 6009, but according to Current USA those pumps are not NOT pressure rated for micron canister filters.

So I would like to know which pump (silent) can I use for this purpose and I also have a second question, does the flow really maters or can it be used with a low flow pump?

I’m going to advise against this idea but you are more than willing to give it a try for yourself. I worked in a LFS and we had 4 lifeguard aquatic canister filters on the saltwater system. It was a nightmare. We had to change the filters every 2-3 days and it required a high pressure pump. We were using loud energy hungry pan worlds or iwakis. Generally speaking high pressure pumps are not silent.

Furthermore, we need more information to give you a good recommendation. What kind of flow through the filter are you trying to achieve? Can you give us a canister model or is this a diy build? What size is the tank you are trying to filter? How big is the filter you will be using?

I'm going to advise against this idea but you are more than willing to give it a try for yourself. I worked in a LFS and we had 4 lifeguard aquatic canister filters on the saltwater system. It was a nightmare. We had to change the filters every 2-3 days and it required a high pressure pump. We were using loud energy hungry pan worlds or iwakis. Generally speaking high pressure pumps are not silent.

Furthermore, we need more information to give you a good recommendation. What kind of flow through the filter are you trying to achieve? Can you give us a canister model or is this a diy build? What size is the tank you are trying to filter? How big is the filter you will be using?

Hi, thanks for the advice, in my case is a kind of a DIY because I want to use one of those standard canisters used for RODI water filtration, I want to use it for my planted tank for increasing the water flow and to remove those tiny particles that my canister can't, as far as I know the canister can only filter particles up to 20 microns, so with a membrane capable of doing 50 microns or 20 microns I will get a good filtration plus a good circulation.

Currently I'm using a Marineland polishing filter that according to the manufacturer is about 10 microns, the reason why I don't use it all the time is because after a few hours gets loudy and because occupies a lot of space.

My tank is a 70 gallon tank.

I got a question for you, what microns were you using in your filter in the marine tank?

Was that filter the only fltration?

Hi, thanks for the advice, in my case is a kind of a DIY because I want to use one of those standard canisters used for RODI water filtration, I want to use it for my planted tank for increasing the water flow and to remove those tiny particles that my canister can't, as far as I know the canister can only filter particles up to 20 microns, so with a membrane capable of doing 50 microns or 20 microns I will get a good filtration plus a good circulation.

Currently I'm using a Marineland polishing filter that according to the manufacturer is about 10 microns, the reason why I don't use it all the time is because after a few hours gets loudy and because occupies a lot of space.

My tank is a 70 gallon tank.

I got a question for you, what microns were you using in your filter in the marine tank?

Was that filter the only fltration?

I can't remember what micron filter we were using it was like 17 years ago. It wasn't the only filter we used. We ran 2 mechanical filters, carbon cartridge and a UV sterilizer in tandem. We also had a giant 6ft skimmer I believe it was a TA.

When you say planted tank it makes me think you are talking about freshwater and later you ask about my marine tank. I'm assuming that this sediment filter is for a reef tank. Are you setting this up for freshwater? If you are intending on using this for freshwater then I would say go for it.

I can't remember what micron filter we were using it was like 17 years ago. It wasn't the only filter we used. We ran 2 mechanical filters, carbon cartridge and a UV sterilizer in tandem. We also had a giant 6ft skimmer I believe it was a TA.

When you say planted tank it makes me think you are talking about freshwater and later you ask about my marine tank. I'm assuming that this sediment filter is for a reef tank. Are you setting this up for freshwater? If you are intending on using this for freshwater then I would say go for it.

Yeah, is for my planted freshwater tank, but I'm asking you about your marine tank experience, you know, to feed my brain hungry of knowledge :D

So back to the topic, why you were using those pan worlds or iwakis pumps?

Can you use another pump or why you need a high pressure pump?

As far as I know the marineland polishing filter doesn't has a very high pressure pump, correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, is for my planted freshwater tank, but I'm asking you about your marine tank experience, you know, to feed my brain hungry of knowledge :D

So back to the topic, why you were using those pan worlds or iwakis pumps?

Can you use another pump or why you need a high pressure pump?

As far as I know the marineland polishing filter doesn't has a very high pressure pump, correct me if I'm wrong.

We were using high pressure external pumps cause we needed a lot of head pressure. The Marine system was about 20-30 tanks total and everything shared a common sump. There was also about 10 ft of head we had to over come.

Generally these small micron filters have quite a bit of resistance to them especially when they get dirty. You'll want some pretty good pressure to overcome the resistance. You also have to take into account any head loss due to height.

We were using high pressure external pumps cause we needed a lot of head pressure. The Marine system was about 20-30 tanks total and everything shared a common sump. There was also about 10 ft of head we had to over come.

Generally these small micron filters have quite a bit of resistance to them especially when they get dirty. You'll want some pretty good pressure to overcome the resistance. You also have to take into account any head loss due to height.

I know that but my real question is, if a normal pump can be used, in marine tanks specially if you only have one pump then you need lots of pressure but in my case in where I don't need that much water flow, so can I use for example a 300 GPH pump for that purpose?

The height is about 2 meters (counting elbows and stuff like that)

I know that but my real question is, if a normal pump can be used, in marine tanks specially if you only have one pump then you need lots of pressure but in my case in where I don't need that much water flow, so can I use for example a 300 GPH pump for that purpose?

The height is about 2 meters (counting elbows and stuff like that)

This pump is going to be submersed or external? And how much flow do you want @ 6ft of head? DC or AC electric preference? And what is your budget?

This pump is going to be submersed or external? And how much flow do you want @ 6ft of head? DC or AC electric preference? And what is your budget?

External.

If I go AC then I was thinking something like a Sicce Syncra 1.0, If I'm going DC then a current usa eflux 6009.

About flow, in my opinion the Magnum has a flow of 290 gallons of water per hour but I feel it is too much, so probably some pump that can give me something between 100 - 200 GPH.

The Sicce 1.0 only has 5' of max head pressure so I wouldn't recommend it.

https://www.aquacave.com/media/cata...4b73c321149768/s/i/sicce-syncra-chart-2_3.jpg

If you are set on Sicce I would try to shorten the head height by about 1 foot if at all possible and just go with a 2.0 (<100 gph @ 6ft) or 2.5 (~225gph @ 6ft). I'd lean toward the 2.5 here.

With a 3.0 or 3.5 you'll have plenty of power and will need to place a ball or gate valve on it to control the flow.

I don't have any experience running these pumps externally. I had a 5.0 as a submersed pump. It had a pretty good hum/vibration to it and these pumps get warm externally.

With the Current USA eflux 6009 you'll lose quite a bit of head pressure if you restrict the tube size to 1/2" and try to push through a micron filter but it should do it. DC pumps lose a lot of performance when you start restricting them with small tubing/micron filters. They generally thrive when you have 1"+ piping that is unrestricted. The flow is easily controlled with a controller versus ball/gate valve but I would still recommend a valve. This pump should be noticeably more quiet than the AC pump and should suffice.

I would probably plumb it so that the pump has a direct line to and from the display then insert a T connection and split flow returning to the display to the filter. I might even make the filter recirculate under the cabinet instead of trying to plumb it directly to the display. Again, make sure you put ball/gate valves at connections to control flow.

I was thinking the Sicce because I've heard that those pumps are silent, but if I have to use a 2.0 probably the Current USA will be more silent.

Now why should I use a splitting with a T connection, I still don't get why, excuse my ignorance.

You don't have too it's preference. Splitting it gives you more control over flow through the reactor.

That's why I was thinking of using a current usa, I already have one for my reef tank and is awesome, you can control by tiny adjustments with the knob.

Back