Purple Tang with Ich

TURKLET0N

I have had a purple tang for a little over a week and today I noticed white ich spots on him. None of my other fish have it and I did not see it on him yesterday. The only thing that changed was that I added some blue/green chromis yesterday. I wouldn't think that would cause ich. I know they were quarantined before I got them. I started dipping nori in garlic and used garlic extreme. He is eating like a pig and is acting normal and is not rubbing on rocks. I read lowering the salinity can kill ich. Other than QTing all the fish is there something else I can do? Does lowering the salinity kill ich?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I talked to Johns wife at FAIOS and they helped me out with some food that will get rid of the Ich. Thankfully I caught it early and I'm doing a water change tomorrow.

I had ich on my tank a while ago. And unfortunatly I don't have the means to be able to let my tank go fallow for 3 months. My tangs r the ones that get ich since they don't have scales. Even without an out brake for 6 months I added a orange shoulder tang and my alpha blue hippo has ich now...not even the tang I just added...it always seems to work itself out...as long as he/she is eating it will be fine. Once there is ich in the tank it's hard to get rid of.

Best of luck. Adding fish from something other that your quarantine is usually very risky. Tangs are ich mangets no matter want anyone says

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same issue with a purple tang I added 3 weeks ago. My powder brown and yellow tang really stressed him out the first day and shortly after he had a very bad case of ich. I started soaking nori in jars of minced garlic and feeding 2 sheets daily along with frozen foods in the garlic juice. He's recovering nicely now. Still has some spots but its going away slowly, he eats like a pig and everyone is getting along now (except initially when lights go down and everyone's looking for a sleeping cave.) What was the food they recommended? I ordered selcon via amazon last night which is supposed to further boost their immune system, you might want to look into getting some of it aswell.

They are brown flakes in a zip lock bag with Metro written on it. They said it contained stuff in it that will build their immune system and help kill the Ich from the inside out.

They are brown flakes in a zip lock bag with Metro written on it. They said it contained stuff in it that will build their immune system and help kill the Ich from the inside out.

I love that stuff it worked great for my fish thumbs up to faois

FYI, that food is not going to cure anything. It will help suppress it for a bit but it will not eradicate it. Plenty of ich threads you can read on how some manage it through health of fish while others religiously quarantine to get rid of it. You can decide what "team" you are on. :)

FYI, that food is not going to cure anything. It will help suppress it for a bit but it will not eradicate it. Plenty of ich threads you can read on how some manage it through health of fish while others religiously quarantine to get rid of it. You can decide what "team" you are on. :)

yup

I did a water change this morning and sifted all the sand to get rid of as much of the parasites as possible. On day two there is no Ich on the purple tang at all or any other fish. Hope it stays this way.

Back