Purple Up

Reef-Emperor

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering does the product- "PurpleUp" contain any strains of coraline algae (seed)? or just a supplement to promote further growth to what is already there?

Thanks!

just a supplement - no actual algae contained in the bottle.

i've read a few people mentioning that it wouldn't be a good thing to add to a tank w/ filter feeders due to the particulate size, but i had made use of it prior to reading this...didn't notice any ill effects. just something to potentially throw a little research towards if you are considering using it.

240_display.jpg

at least judging from my experience, it does promote coraline growth (no other supplementation done for the above tank as of the taking of that picture), but no, there isn't any coraline 'seed' in the bottle, just the stuff to promote it's growth.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9222037#post9222037 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Xandernfs
I prefer a 2 part soultion. Purple up just is a calcium supplement.

what is the 2 part you are refering to?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9222157#post9222157 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by momentumfoto
what is the 2 part you are refering to?

i would assume something like this.

I happened to get some as an exchange for some snails that died in route by dhl shipping. The livestock company and I had no idea that the cargo hold of the truck was not heated and they were all dead before I got them. They credited my account for the cost of the snails and to make the story short one of the things I got with the credit was purple up.

Its probably best to use it in conjunction with a calcium test kit.

don't forget to mention that it clouds up your tank with a milky fog of pulverized agronite dust. I hate it personally.

use purple up in my 12g jbj nano for about 6 months before going to 2 part. Softies and LPS. Never had any problems, seemed to regulate calcium pretty well. I think it also has iodide.

Speaking of, in going to 2 part, do I ALSO need to add iodide now?

Just another product to take your money. Coraline will come in time providing you have good lighting and your Ca & Alk are in check. Randy just wrote a post about this product, short but sweet. Don't waste your money on this product, IMO.
:beer:

Got my calc & alk kits yesterday. Will test tomorrow or Fri. Got my purple up with credit so I got nothing to lose. Might make clouds but will add calc.

Doglover, ESV B Ionic has Iodide in the Alk part.

Check the labels. Any good one will list which ions are present in each part. If it doesn't list what's in it, DON'T buy it.

check drs foster and smith or marinedepot. C-balance and B ionic have been recommended to me--gobyjohn above says B ionic has iodide---I'm not sure about C-balance--not specifically listed on their advertisements.

Back