Quarantine tank

My SW 38G Nuvo tank is now 14 days old. I have some brown algae, which I've seen here is a good sign of progress.

Frankly, there is too much rock in my tank. I imagine when I start putting corals in there that I'll take some out.

So will the rock that I take out be beneficial in the QT tank?

I read the quarantine sticky. So I would toss a raw shrimp in and start the cycle process. I have a spare hang on filter, so I'd use it with floss and no filter. It has a bio-wheel. And I'd need a heater.

Although, we keep our house temp at 73, but I suppose I'd use one anyway? Hate doing that if I don't need to.

And lastly, how do you keep the good bacteria alive if you keep the tank running all the time but don't have something in it? Do you feed it fish food? How often?

No rock in a QT. If you need to medicate, the rock can never be used in a display again. You can use pieces of pvc pipe.

I have a QT for both corals and fish. Neither is set up. I put a sponge filter in my fuge prior to setting a QT up.It gets seeded pretty quickly. Then do a water change on the display and move the sponge filter over. After, I don't re-use the sponge, I just replace it.

Thank you for replying. Looks like setting up the qt as needed will work good for me. Just tossed the filter from my hob filter in the back of my dt.

Back