Queen Angelfish Feeding

MAGI521

anybody got any tips for a 2"-3" queen angelfish to start eating. i have tried pellets, nori, sponge based frozen food, frozen mysis and flakes. the guy i bought it off of was feeding it pellets. it swims around the tank looking for food in between the crevices of the live rock. it will go up to the food like it is going to eat it and then swim in the other direction.

Have you tried stuffing sheets of nori between the rocks? That was the only way I could get my coral beauty to start eating the stuff.

MAGI521

[welcome]

How long have you had the fish? Could be it just needs time to settle in and get used to its new home.
;)

i have tried the nori between the rocks and i have had it for almost 2 weeks. it justs seems like the angel wants to eats something but cant find anything.

Don't worry too much, those guy are tough. I have one about an inche and a half. it doesn't eat anything for like 4 days and start to eat some pellets. I first feed it Nutrafin (marine complete food) they like that stuff. After couple days i start to feed him or her
1) Formula 1 (pellets)
2) Formula 2 (frozen)
3) Angel Formula (frozen)
4) New life Spectrum (pellets)
5) Spirulina (flake).

I try to feed Queen A mysid shrimp, brine shrimp, and nori, seaweed. The fish absolutely refuse to eat any of it. I dont' know why. But i think those 5 foods that i feed the Queen A is pretty good already. If anyone else can think of any other food, please suggest.

So yeah, dont' worry. it will eat sooner or later. My queen grow an inche in two months. what tank size are you going to put it in?? I have it in a 30 gallons right now. Waiting for my 90 AGA tank to cycle and i will transfer it over there.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7503614#post7503614 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CaptNemo
I have it in a 30 gallons right now. Waiting for my 90 AGA tank to cycle and i will transfer it over there.

Might want to rethink putting a queen angel in a 90 they need more of 8ft tank 240 gallons or more. They get aggressive and get large up to 17 inches i tired keeping a smaller one in my 72 when i first started years back big mistake. Very active fish.. Always pacing back and forth eventually got to big and as i learned more about the hobby, i took him back to the lfs. As for feeding mine ate right away brine shrimp/flakes and angel formula....

I'll second COreefer's suggestion on Sprung's Sea Veggie's flake food. I've had good luck with the mixed flake, which includes purple, red and green algae.

Another suggestion is to try some baby scallops (raw). You can break them into small pieces and they sometimes trigger a feeding response.

Good luck....

-Rob

Hi there: yoboyjdizz

Since you already kept this fish, i just have couple questions to ask you.
1) How big was the fish when you got it?
2) How fast did it grow?
3) How long did you keep it before return it to a lfs
4) How big was it when you return it.

Thanks alot.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7510701#post7510701 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CaptNemo
Hi there: yoboyjdizz

Since you already kept this fish, i just have couple questions to ask you.
1) How big was the fish when you got it?
2) How fast did it grow?
3) How long did you keep it before return it to a lfs
4) How big was it when you return it.

Thanks alot.
1.) I say it was about 4 inches
2.) I feed heavily it grew probably 2inches
3.) Couple of months about 3 1/2-maybe 5 can't remember
4.) It was probably good fat six inches
It started to established it self as the boss less then a month but wasent overall aggressive but i would say if it got bigger it might of gotten worse. It would harras newcomers and sometimes other fish here and there when it felt like it other then that great fish kinda like a dog would follow me around when i work on the tank or watch it and always seem to beg for food.

a 90 will work for some time i just don't like the idea of giving fish away when they get to big or counting on upgrading you will get attached and it sucks. An as far as upgrading it has taking me a year to get my 280 rolling and i still don't have any water in it.

Back