Question: Best two part additive?

Jstndnhyr

I have always used ESV B-ionic two part but it has become very hard to get in gallon or more quantities lately. Any suggestions what two part for alkalinity and calcium I should move to?

I had been using the Red Sea. I recently purchased one of the 500ML bottles. When I started to get down to what I thought was the bottom, I noticed that there was something in the bottom because I could shake it and it was rattling. So, I dumped it out and there was about 2" of a clear crystaline material. Over this time, I had two nice montipora's bleach and die on me. I don't know if this had anything to do with it.

I started to use the Bulk Reef Supply Alkalinity supplement. But I make sure I keep it shaken every day. That may have been the issue with the Red Sea. I probably was not shaking it up enough.

I have a 150g mixed reef and been using B-ionic for the last 20+ years. :) I believe it was scarce last summer after Covid hit but haven't had any issues buying them recently. I buy them on Marinedepot, and perhaps I don't see the scarcity due to the fact that the gallon size lasts me for many months.

One thing to note B-ionic also have trace elements while some DIY mixes do not, but it's cheaper so have to weigh the pros/cons.

I've been using ATI Essentials Pro for almost 2 years with great results. Very easy to use, and for my 75G not too expensive.

Another popular option that is somewhat new, Tropic Marin All for Reef. 1 part?! I haven't used it, but it's popular among the lazy, like myself.

I use Randy's DIY 2 part recipe. Basically the same BRS sells but at less than half the cost.
Baking soda from Costco and Calcium chloride. I have probably 400 pounds of 99% pure calcium chloride available of any one needs some. Small quantities are $2.00 a pound. 50 pound, 7 gallon buckets are $45.00. I do have a for sale thread here.

Arm and Hammer baking soda and Hardness Plus from a Lesliies Pool has never failed me.

How do you prep them? Very interesting that they can be use safely for reef tank. I'm still new and this method going to save me a lot of money. Thanks

How do you prep them? Very interesting that they can be use safely for reef tank. I'm still new and this method going to save me a lot of money. Thanks

I add 2 cups of Arm and Hammer baking soda to one gallon of RO and mix with a MJ 1200 for 20 minutes.

Hardness plus I just mix 2 cups with one gallon ro water and shake the jug to get it mixed.

I've been using baking soda for years to dose alkalinity. I simply use one of the commercial calcium supplements when I need to dose calcium.

I add 2 cups of Arm and Hammer baking soda to one gallon of RO and mix with a MJ 1200 for 20 minutes.

Hardness plus I just mix 2 cups with one gallon ro water and shake the jug to get it mixed.

I've been using baking soda for years to dose alkalinity. I simply use one of the commercial calcium supplements when I need to dose calcium.

Do you guys bake it first before mixing?

You can use sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) as an alk supplement, but I prefer the baked version....sodium carbonate (soda ash), because it is much more soluble in water and can therefore make a much stronger solution.

I too make my own by baking sodium bicarbonate....but NOT AT 300 Celsius!!! I do it at 350 F (ca 180 C) for an hour. If you're using Randy's original recipe, 2 1/4 cups baked for and hour should do it for a gallon of alk solution. Note that after baking you have approximately 2 cups of sodium carbonate.

You can use sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) as an alk supplement, but I prefer the baked version....sodium carbonate (soda ash), because it is much more soluble in water and can therefore make a much stronger solution.

I too make my own by baking sodium bicarbonate....but NOT AT 300 Celsius!!! I do it at 350 F (ca 180 C) for an hour. If you're using Randy's original recipe, 2 1/4 cups baked for and hour should do it for a gallon of alk solution. Note that after baking you have approximately 2 cups of sodium carbonate.

Amazon has 1lb of the Arm and Hammer for 80 cents right now. It's not the sealed bag version though.

I've switched over to the 1 part from Tropic Marin. Unfortunately a lot of TM stuff is not in stock since it all comes from Germany and they have been shut down for the last couple of months. Tropic Marin keeps saying it is because their products have become so popular but I believe that is not the whole truth.

Back