Question: MP10 on 1/2" thick glass?

whodeewuhdee

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with running a MP10 on 1/2" glass?
I have a 57G rimless that I am putting together and currently have two MP10's that I hope will be able to be used on the new upgrade.

They work but they're pretty easy to knock off. Just set them up making sure the cord is tied up so they don't fall, and you can program them to shut down if they ever fall off. Lots of people do it.

FYI, I'm dealing with the same issue for my upcoming 50g tank, so I ended up calling EcoTech yesterday and they were very clear that the MP10 max glass thickness is 3/8" (9.5mm). The MP40, though, will work with 1/2" glass.

We didn't discuss why, but it may be because the motor doesn't fully engage (magnetically) with the wet half, which could cause overheating or lack of responsiveness.

On my tank I'm trying to decide between 2 MP10's or 1 MP40, assuming my tank will be 3/8". I've yet to order the tank, though, so I'm not sure if I'll need to go to 1/2" thick or not.

All the best :)

Thanks for the info guys.
I will give it a shot, I can see the overheating on the dry side if there isnt a proper load(wet side) but I never turn them past 50% so I think it'll be okay. Definitely will be zip-tie the dry side to the glass anyway.
I will keep you guys in touch with how it turns out.

I ran an mp10 on 1/2" for a while. It stayed on, but I couldn't turn it up full power. When I did, it would vibrate like crazy, no matter how I tried to wiggle and reposition it to make a better connection. I was stuck at around 4 for power. In the end, I switched to mp40. If you go with mp10, I would recommend taking foam padding off of wet side back- it helped make a better connection. Good luck!

I ran an mp10 on 1/2" for a while. It stayed on, but I couldn't turn it up full power. When I did, it would vibrate like crazy, no matter how I tried to wiggle and reposition it to make a better connection. I was stuck at around 4 for power. In the end, I switched to mp40. If you go with mp10, I would recommend taking foam padding off of wet side back- it helped make a better connection. Good luck!

Was it the dry side or wet side that was vibrating like crazy?

But that sounds like a good idea to remove the foam from the wet side. My only concern would be the difficulty of reselling them if I ever upgrade to MP40's in the future, but I wont worry about that right now.

Back