Questions about skimmer and hair algae

hrdneglcry

Premium Member
Ok. I have an old reef dynamics skimmer. It runs on a brand new Rio 2100 pump with a venturi. So it has been running for 8-9 months and making skim. At its highest output I was emptying twice a week. Not a full or even a half cup but an inch or two of skimmate. I had a small grouper and some Triggers. I lost the grouper. I am also running two Aquaclear 110s because groupers are messy. Not too long ago the skimmer stopped making skim. I removed the pump and soaked in a vinegar water mix for 3 + hours just to be sure its not calcium. I did notice when I ran a diatom filter on the tank that the skimmer wouldn't work. I am wondering if my water is too clean for it to work. The pump still makes mircobubbles. Once in awhile they almost make it to the top. But its been a few weeks and no skim. But the other think is that recently I noticed hair algae blooms where I never had any. I have chaeto in the sump which is supposed to out compete the hair algae. But that is new and the tank is established.

You soaked the venturi as well? That's where the problem would be. You usually have to use a pin or other narrow object to knock the buildup out of the narrow passages of the venturi. The algae is likely because the skimmer is underperforming which tells me your water is not too clean

I soaked the venturi for 5 hours. I did not put a pin in the hole though. On my Maxpsect when I soaked it for 3 hours the calcium mostly melted. I will try the pin. My Maxspect Gyre had heavy calcium and 3 hours all but erased it. I soaked the pump and the ventui once for 2.5 hours and then for 3 hours a second time. I will try a pin in the hole. There is a small amount if skim in cup but usually it was twice a week. Now I barely know its in there. Honestly I am not sure of the issue. I hope its calcium and I am going to soak it again. I don't see anything in the little part but I did put a paperclip in there. Never had trouble before. Thought maybe due to less fish? But then wondered if the hair algae was part of the skimmer not running. I don't think this is going to fix it. And I am not sure what else it could be. There are bubbles but less. It used to shoot out of the exhaust tube and they would make it into the center chamber of the refugium. Sometimes even into the tank. I though maybe water was pristine and there was nothing to make the skim with. When I used a diatom filter the skimmer didn't skim. So that filter was removing what skimmer needs to work.

Last edited:
I use a small drill bit, a little smaller than the opening, and move it in and out by hand.
The dip does clean, but the Venturi has a build up which would take forever to dissolve.

I am going to let it soak overnight. After reading this thred I found an article that says its usually an air flow issue if pump is working. So I am gonna soak it for about 15 hours. Hopefully that will do it.

Soaked it for 17 hours. Not sure its gonna work again. Siliconed some connections to the skimmer and made sure that venturi opening are not restricted. Will try it again when silicone cures. Used to be so many bubbles they'd get into DT. Maybe my water is pristine. Hair algae can grow from intense lighting.

Can you “blow” air through the Venturi and if so, then, do you get bubbles.

Back