questions on tank transfer

Cruella

In Memoriam
ok so next weekend I am going to break down the 75 and put up the 125. I am going to use half of my old sandbed to seed teh new sand bed. I am going to take my rock from my 75 and put it in my 125. I am also going to use as much water from the 75 into the 125. I am going to grab turbo start just in case I have a mini cycle. I have to put my fish right into the tank. I have no where to put the coral or the fish. I figure with the wet skim going and all the bacteria from the rocks an dsand I will be fine. any feed back or advice will help me . thanks

I just upgraded from 75 to 90.
I kept my fish and coral in a large rubbermaid tote with heater and powerhead for a few days.
Remember things will not go as quickly, or smoothly, as you expect.
When you empty your 75 where will you be keeping your water until it goes back into the 125? Where will you be keeping the old sand and coral during the swap?

I personaly don't recomend re using the sand other that maybe a couple of cups full especialy if the sand bed in the 75 is deep.

I agree ..... new sand and just add a few cups of the old sand that has been skimmed off the top of your old sand bed.

the live stock will be going right into the 75/ I realize this is going to be an all day project. I have no where to keep them so I am going to fill the 125 up with as much water from the75 as I can

If you don't have a tank to store the fish and corals in while you make the move bag them just like they were going to be shipped and put them in coolers to keep temp good. This way you know they will survive 24-48 hours with no problem...

yes I have no room for the coolers. Also my fish are to big for coolers. I have three tangs and two enginer gobies. My one enginer gobies is around 16 inches. I am going to buy some large bottles of turbo start just in case there is a cycle .

i agree about the substrate. only use a bit of the old stuff. when i set up a new tank i use new substrate ...then i add a few small cups full of my old sand. thats it. the live rock and using your old water will be plenty to ensure a good "seed" of established bacteria.

Back