quiet external pump

dlish89

Hello, I just sold my Iwaki md70 because it was just more than I needed and I couldn't take the noise any longer. So now I'm looking for a pump 1000g/hr + but I need it quiet. I was looking at the amp master 3000 or maybe a mak 4. Any help would be great. Thanks:confused:

Hey dish how loud was it? U can be honest now since I already have the pump..... :DI did a quick run and I do hear a loud whine.... does that quiet down a little when it's all pressurised?

Dannie, it was no louder than another Iwaki I heard. Iwaki's are great pumps just noisy. There wasn't any kind of whine just the hum of the pump and sound of the fan blowing. This pump was in my master bedroom and it was just too loud for the wife she couldn't take it any more. So I was going to down size, but if I can get a pump to move the same volume but quiet.. then thats what my boys are pushing. I also had it hard plumbed with pvc and I think that my have magnified the noise.

Tough call one man's quiet is another's racket. For example, IMHO a dart is pretty quiet but by no means silent - it does produce a bit of a hum but it can't really be heard inside a stand (it can but only when the room is dead silent).

All of the small impeller/high RPM pumps (Iwaki, Pan World, GenX) make some noise given the design. Larger(ish) impeller/slow RPM pumps like Darts make less noise but still aren't 100% silent.

How much head pressure are we talking about here? (I assume that it's a bit given the pumps mentioned) If you have more than 5 or 6' of head pressure then I'd give either the velocity series (heat issues) or the Sequence high pressure line a look. If it's just a simple return to the tank with minimal pressure then an Eheim 1262 (or 1264 if you can find one) would work fine - they truly are dead silent & don't add much if any heat to the water.

Was also considering a sequence dart but 3600 is way too much, and I hear that if I restrict the flow with the dart it will get loud too.

just looking at a normal return with 2 outputs pumping up about 5 ft. with 3 - 90's I figured it once I think it was about 8 - 9 head but I cannot remember I will get in there and do the math later I'm heading for Vegas right now CES. Talk to you all when I get back. Thanks for all the input, I'm soaking it like a sponge.

Here's a thread discussing Eheims & performance, you can see what my return is like (3/4 of the way down the 1st page).

RC Eheim thread

Seems the performance is beyond what the specs state & if you're looking for dead quiet moderate flow?

Thanks for the help I'm considering the eheim 1262, but I'm not to sure it will give me enough flow. If I could find a 1264 I would go with that. Or I'm looking at the sequence. I think I have decided against the ampmaster and mak 4. Or maybe 2- 1260 I just like what I hear about no sound out of the eheims.

My setup is:

1" pipe -> up & over the sump (2') -> across 2' -> 1" "Y" -> up 1' & over 2' -> 2x 1"x 3/4" NPT hose barbs -> up 29" -> 2x "3 90*" U returns.

I'd guess I have at least 700gph flowing through the sump (might be more). The skimmer uses 300, the fuge gets 200(ish), and there's excess to "dump".

This is with a 1262 - which is supposedly rated @ 900gph. Of note I do use 1" flex from the pump to a hose barb & then 1" vinyl from there until it's converted @ the returns.

Velocity, now known as Poseiden PS pumps, or sometimes described as Poseiden titanium pumps.

The pumps are silent, but do get very hot. Some have had a lot of heat, some have had very little effect. I fall into the latter category.

I have run a T4 on my Bullet skimmer for some time now, and just got a ps1 as my return pump under the new Poseiden name for my new setup I am working on. Pump is identical. I am glad Laing picked them up and kept them going.

I ended up with a Poseidon PS4. It is dead quiet not even a sound. The water coming thru the overflows is 10x as loud as the pump. WIFE IS HAPPY !!!! I will see if heat becomes a factor, but this is on a fresh water tank so not too worried about it, as I'm not running any serious lighting. I'm curious if it actually puts out more heat than my Iwaki 70, not that it got hot, but I didn't have anything else to compare it to. The Iwaki is a massive pump compared to this little Poseidon, but to compare the amperage and noise I'm super happy with the amount of flow I'm getting out of the Poseidon.

Back