Radial flow/swirl filter with bean animal overflow

vincel892

Im looking into mechanical filtration for my 700 gallon build and want to go with some form of settling chamber. I have had good experience with a diy swirl filter in my outdoor koi pond and wanted to try and integrate this type of filtration into my 200 gallon sump. However, I would also really like to use a bean animal type overflow to reduce the noise as much as possible.
However, I am unsure whether the plumbing would work out. The plumbing is different for the radial vs the swirl filter. (picture below)
My thought is to have a 2" siphon (as I plan to have 4500-5000 gph of flow) from the external overflow to the swirl filter and then have the radial or swirl filter overflow into the sump. However, I am not sure if this will actually maintain a full siphon will this plumbing set up. Basic schematic below to describe what I'm talking about and the different between a radial flow and swirl filter.
My concern is that output of the bean animal drain into the radial/swirl filter will sit too low in the water and it may be difficult for the line to purge all the air after a power outage. I'm also concerned that having the radial/swirl filter drain in the sump will cause a lot of noise which defeats the whole purpose of the bean animal. Making the overflow from the settling chamber to the sump a full siphon may be a possibility?
Im looking into mechanical filtration for my 700 gallon build. I have had good experience with a diy swirl filter in my outdoor koi pond and wanted to try and integrate this type of filtration into my 200 gallon sump. However, I would also really like to use a bean animal type overflow to reduce the noise as much as possible.

However, I am unsure whether the plumbing would work out. The plumbing is different for the radial vs the swirl filter. (picture below)
My thought is to have the two 2" siphons (as I plan to have at least 6000 gph of flow) from the external overflow to the swirl filter and then have the radial or swirl filter overflow into the sump. However, I am not sure if this will actually maintain a full siphon will this plumbing set up. Basic schematic below to describe what I'm talking about and the different between a radial flow and swirl filter.
Any thoughts on whether this would work ? anyone run this type of setup?

swirl filter.jpg

RadialFlowSeperator.jpg

SwirlFilter.jpg

You just need to find alternate ways to purge the air from the system vs just relying on the natural flow pulling it out.

Could be as simple as a suction line at a high point in the drains tied to a small powerhead/venturi or pump.

You just need to find alternate ways to purge the air from the system vs just relying on the natural flow pulling it out.

Could be as simple as a suction line at a high point in the drains tied to a small powerhead/venturi or pump.
Hm never considered that. So I would plumb a line close to the output from the main display tank and attach it to a pump and turn it on after every power outage ?
Not too sure I know what a venturi is. Is this done commonly ?

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Back