Radion Wide Angle TIR Lense or XR30 Diffuser?

Mustang67

I called one of the main distributors today looking for info on the Radion Wide angle TIR lens's. They stated they are not carrying them anymore. They now stock the XR30 diffusers. Now I have (5) the Radion G3's for my 300 DD Reef tank. So I said to myself if EcoTech is not going to produce the wide angle lenses anymore and not supporting them in the Gen4 models, then there must be a significant technical advancement for them to go with a completely different solution. The lens and the diffuser are two completely different concepts. From an aesthetics perspective the wide angle lens looks much nicer. However the diffuser looks like it was an afterthought and not part of the new design. Hey here is a $700 light, and a cheap looking piece of white washed plastic to put over your nice looking light. :spin3:

Question: For the Radion G3’s are the diffusers a better choice over the wide angle lenses???
Not looking at cost or longevity, simply looking for what is the best option for the corals and livestock?

My set up is a 300 DD Reef tank, 5x Radion G3’s running at about 20% to power and have 8x 39w T5 HO’s. So my light configuration looks like this.

Front to back and installed under my canopy I have 5 rows of lights.
Row 1, 2x ATI Reef Plus 39w tubes
Row 2 2x ATI Actinic’s
Row 3 (middle) 5x Radion G3’s running at 20%
Row 4 2x ATI Actinic’s
Row 5 (last row to the back of the tank) 2x ATI Reef Plus tubes
All T5’s are 39W

Tank is 3 years old, and lights are about 10 inches above the top of the water.

Last edited:
I have been kicking around this setup for my DD 250G --XR15Pro's & 4 80w T-5 (aquatic life hybrid)
66x36

Since you have plenty of T-5's for quite a bit diffuse light. Id probably keep what you have.
However, if you want to diffuse more, i'd go wide angle lens. As the diffuser show 20% par loss with better spread. I'd assume 5-10% of the loss is from the material itself. While the wide angle lens will probably suffer less loss then the diffuser with similiar look.

BRS still has them and exactly 5 left!

BRS has the test for the diffuser PAR readings.
That showed the 20% pretty much across the board at 6", 12" and 18" depth

I was in search of another part for my tank and found a box of lenses. They were the original lenses. I replaced all of them with the wide angle lenses and forgot. Glad I found them before I bought five sets. So I will stick with my current configuration and pass on the diffusers.

Back