Raising Magnesium--Epsom Salts?!?

FireViper

I mentioned earlier that the magnesium levels in our 55gallon tank are pretty low, around 1200 ppm and I'm struggling to raise it. Re-examining the amounts I was adding, I stumbled upon a couple of dosing calculators and clearly, I wasn't adding nearly enough. Upon recommendation of the LPS, I'm using Seachem Advantage, and according to the calculators, I need more than a container of the magnesium sulfate to get anywhere close (330 gms). Seems extreme, but both calculators agreed with the amount. Surprised.

Also read on one of the calculators, that Epsom Salts are an option. They have some drawbacks, but if you don't continually use them and do frequent water changes, they should be okay.

Any recommendation to get Mg up quickly?

Ca is around 400 and dKH is around 10. Thanks!

Aren't you a fairly new reefer with a new fairly new setup?.
If so I'm skeptical that you need to be dosing anything at this time..and certainly not mag..

Aren't you a fairly new reefer with a new fairly new setup?.
If so I'm skeptical that you need to be dosing anything at this time..and certainly not mag..

Yes to both.

Help me understand why it doesn't make sense to adjust either calcium or magnesium with a new set up. Not questioning, just trying to learn; frankly, will help me not worry as much about the parameters.

Last edited:
Why do you wish to raise your MG?
I dose CA,ALK and MG because I have a lot of Stoney corals and three clams so water changes can't keep up with their needs.

Do you have a lot of Stoneys?

Without something consuming those elements or only a few corals consuming them water changes should be more than sufficient to keep you from needing to dose..
Quite often a new system can easily go for a year or more without needing to resort to dosing.... Even more so with mag as it tends to be one that requires the least amount of dosing for many...

What salt mix are you using?
What is the mag level of a fresh batch of saltwater?
Have you gotten a second opinion?

Why do you wish to raise your MG?
I dose CA,ALK and MG because I have a lot of Stoney corals and three clams so water changes can't keep up with their needs.

Do you have a lot of Stoneys?

Because I read that Mg should be around 1350. Granted, reading on the internet could be a dangerous thing.

We have a couple of hammers, candy canes and and few others. . . .

Without something consuming those elements or only a few corals consuming them water changes should be more than sufficient to keep you from needing to dose..
Quite often a new system can easily go for a year or more without needing to resort to dosing.... Even more so with mag as it tends to be one that requires the least amount of dosing for many...

What salt mix are you using? Using sea water supplied from the LFS. In another post, I learned that that's probably a mistake. Going to switch to RODI plus salt mix soon.
What is the mag level of a fresh batch of saltwater? Have not tested it, and won't be able to. Fresh batch is from a not so close LFS and they provide Red Sea mix with RODI.[/I]
Have you gotten a second opinion? Yes. The folks here.

Hopefully the answers are above in bold italics. . . .Thanks for the help!

So the lfs is doing your testing?

I still doubt dosing is needed for you unless those corals are large colonies and your not anywhere near typically recommended water change frequencies/amounts

I still doubt dosing is needed for you unless those corals are large colonies and your not anywhere near typically recommended water change frequencies/amounts

This.

I ran a single dosing of a two part on my nano to raise levels to stony levels despite being fowlr atm (I do have a shaving brush using trace). I am prepping for ~6-12 months out and will be checking levels every 2 weeks to gauge usage as is.

Mg test kits necessitate testing multiple samples to get a good reading in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm doing the testing with a Red Sea Mg test kit. The other tests are with a API test kit. Done the tests on multiple occasions. Always is between 1200 and 1250 for the Mg. Ca has ranged from 460 to 300. . ..

Thanks again, as I'm trying to learn.

I'm doing the testing with a Red Sea Mg test kit. The other tests are with a API test kit. Done the tests on multiple occasions. Always is between 1200 and 1250 for the Mg. Ca has ranged from 460 to 300. . ..

Thanks again, as I'm trying to learn.

Totally do not use Epsom salts. Look into purity levels required for retail sale and contrast that too the real supplements we put in tanks. Pickling lime is an outlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epsom salt is just fine to raise Mg. Most of it I see is food grade.

I also agree that 1200 Mg is just fine. It does take quite a bit of salt to raise Mg levels very much, as you have seen. You can also buy bulk mag sulfate from a few different aquarium suppliers.

Both Red Seas mix somewhat higher in all three ranges than the less expensive salts, so 1200 does not make sense to me unless salinity is lower than 1.0255....

Not sure how many LFS are using expensive salts like Red Sea for making and selling water.
Mine uses IO, buy low, sell high...

There's a lot of profit in saltwater when the water part is virtually free.

Have you tested your new water before WC to have a baseline? In my opinion, there is something wrong either in the mix or the testing. A new tank with basic corals should not deviate from the baseline too much. As Mc said (and trust that guy) just regular WC would do.

I think the low Mg levels are because the water I've been using is actual sea water, pulled from the Pacific and filtered (purchased at the two LFSs). Just tested what I've left, and the Mg is around 1560.

Will be switching to a supplier with Red Sea Pro water, then to a home RODI system and salt. After several water changes, I'm hoping the Mg will rise. . . .

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
I think the low Mg levels are because the water I've been using is actual sea water, pulled from the Pacific and filtered (purchased at the two LFSs). Just tested what I've left, and the Mg is around 1560.

Will be switching to a supplier with Red Sea Pro water, then to a home RODI system and salt. After several water changes, I'm hoping the Mg will rise. . . .

Thanks for the help!

I have used Red Sea Pro for years and I am very happy.
Mixes fast and clean with no caking residue....but a bit pricey.

Back